Question on starting pay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Groundskeepers Services, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Groundskeepers Services

Groundskeepers Services LawnSite Member

I have a question for the owners on here. I know this is going to vary alot by region and company but what do most of you have for a pay scale for a foreman on a mowing crew. Someone with great customer service skills, can quote property's, can handle any piece of equipment you throw at him, handles employees in general, and can do snow removal. If possible base pays for both foreman of one crew and a manager that looks over all crews. I would greatly appreciate it. thanks

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The company I work for is very generous with pay. Crew leaders get $14-16 an hour and workers get $8-10 an hour. From a few others I have talked to, generally the crew leaders get $8 to as much as $12 per hour. Which I think is about right.

3. Groundskeepers Services

Wow, they are generous with pay. What company do you work for if you dont mind me asking.

4. jtkplc

TEC Lawn Service. I see that you are very near to my area, so you might have seen us. We do more mobile home parks than anything.

5. Groundskeepers Services

Oddly enough i've never herd of them, i thought i knew all the lco's around here. What equipment do you use?

6. jtkplc

Wright Standers, Great Dane Super Surfers, and an Exmark XS. We have a dark red Ford F-250 and a gold Dodge 1500.

7. Groundskeepers Services

Yea that really supprises me that i havent noticed them. I dont know if its just me, but i tend to pay attention to most all of the company's around me and what they are doing. Do you get your wrights from jackson outdoor?

8. jtkplc

Yep, and the Exmark and GD from D&G in Mason.

Yeah, I notice all of my competition and their quality of work. I'm surprised at home many solo or 2 man operations are in the Jackson area. It seems like every week or so I spot someone new.

9. Groundskeepers Services

Yea, if you go to jackson outdoor you've probably saw me there.... i think we kept them open this year. Whats your opinion on them, seems its pretty mixed from what i've herd.

10. jtkplc

I haven't had to deal with them but 2 or 3 times for minor things. I've always been taken care of for repairs, however, I do feel that they might not be the smartest guys in the world, especially Shane, the newer guy. Twice he has forgotten to order something for me and/or never called when it came in. So, overall I'm not impressed, but they have kept me mowing for the few things I've needed them for. Now, if I cut more per week of my own stuff where I put more hours on my equipment and had more repairs, I probably would not be going there anymore and switching brands. I like Brian for the most part, he's always been good to me.

What equipment do you run?