Question on trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beaver29, Mar 13, 2007.

1. beaver29

beaver29 LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for new trimmer guys. I need your opinions on a Redmax BCZ2601S vs. Echo SRM-261T line trimmer. Have any of you ran both and compared them to one another? I am running a Stihl RS100X right now.

2. beaver29

None of you guys running these trimmers?

3. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

ive never ran the echo but i've run the redmax... i've run all the redmaxes from the 2300 to the 3000 and the older models from about 6 years ago and they are all great. the BCZ2601S is nice. it has ample power and is light. you cant go wrong.... this coming from a Stihl guy.... a Stihl guy who is slowly converting to redmax... LOL

4. beaver29

MuleCutter have you ever ran a Stihl FS100RX trimmer? Ifso how does it compare to the Redmax 2601S (weight and power wise)?

5. MuleCutter

i've run all stihl trimmers except the FS90. what i like about all stihl trimmers over the redmax is the torque. the FS100 has more torque than the BCZ2601 especially since the fs100 is a "4 stroke". i wouldnt be scared of either one of them. what you'd like more about the redmax is the weight and comfort. it's lighter and the gearbox is angled better. IMO redmax is easier starting also. the stihl 4-mixes start easy also but can be more finicky sometimes and you have to deal with fact that you have to adjust the valves periodically on the 4-mix units. redmax is still straight 2 stroke and has a better fuel economy. like i said in my last post... i'm slowly converting to stihl trimmers. i run an old bcz2500 and a stihl fs250. i love the stihl cuz of the power. i use that one for clean ups and running LONG string when i have to trim large areas such as a small backyard. for everyday use and basic manicuring the redmax is perfect. i hope all this helps and if there is any other questions feel free to send me a msg.

6. beaver29

Thanks for your advise MuleCutter but if you look at the specs the FS100RX it is lighter than the 2601S. Does the 2601S just feel light to handle? I might even go with the BCZ30001S which is not much heavier than the 2601S.

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a pas 260 which is similar to the one your looking it. I love echo, in Canada redmax is out of the question due to parts taking forever to get here. I find the echo has plenty of power and starts on the 2nd pull.

Cheers
    Jeff

8. MuleCutter

yes... i'm sorry. you're right about the specs on weight. but that's a good point that you bring up. the redmax does feel lighter to the handle. the stihl has a big grip on it with a huge trigger. the redmax has a smaller straight shaft grip with that flex trigger. also with a smaller diameter main shaft. i've actualy considered switchin from my fs250 to the bcz3000. if you have a choice between the 26001 and the 3000.... even though the 2601 would be perfect... go with the 3000 for around $40 more. you wouldnt regret it.

9. MuleCutter

beaver... i forgot to mention. look at the warranty info. the stihl has a 2 year homeowner and 1 year commercial. the redmax has 2 yr homeowner and 2 year commercial. hell... i think i just converted myself to fully redmax... LOL

10. beaver29

Checking back MuleCutter Stihl list their weight (* Weight without cutting attachment or deflector.) So the Redmax might be lighter because they list their weight with attachments included.