Question on used Metro 36"

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by sngencarelli, Jan 25, 2008.

1. sngencarelli

sngencarelli LawnSite Member

Hi All,

I have the opportunity to purchase a 36" Metro which I'm told is about 5 years old and around 300 hours. The price is $1000.

I have pictures of the mower.. It looks very clean, the deck does not look damaged, it has the belt cover, etc. The muffler looks rusty brown, but I think that's probably to be expected. It does not have the ECS controls.

The only other thing that stands out would be that the area around the back of the transmission looks a little dirty. Could that indicate a leak, or is that just an area where dirt collects on these units? I've attached a picture of the area..

Other than that, the unit looks to be in great shape.. I would be using it to cut my 2 acres of property. It is a combination of flat areas and hills.

Thanks very much for your opinions!
    Scott

exmark36 004.JPG

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

sngencarelli,

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert on valuing used equipment, but here goes! First of all, the Peerless transmissions are a typical wear item on these machines. I've heard of these lasting forever, and I've also heard of them failing every 2 years. The black area could be from when someone opened up the transmission for a rebuild. Are you a homeowner? This machine would work well for most homeowners...but if you have a lot of hills, a hydro may be worth the extra money. You will also experience downhill run w/ any belt drive. Do you mow in wet conditions? Occasionally the drive belts will be slip in wet times.

A hydro makes a lot of sense for most people. People typically buy belt drives b/c of the attractive prices. Hope this helps!

Later,
    KC