Question on using pictures for advertising

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by billsfanvt, Feb 20, 2006.

1. billsfanvt

billsfanvt LawnSite Member

I am starting my business this year and am wondering the leagalities to using a picture that I have taken on someones lawn ot advertise with. Does anyone know if it is illegal to use a photo of some ones lawn to advertise with, or does it mater if their house is in the back round. Any advice will be appreciated, thanx.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You'll need their permission. In all of my non-government service agreements it clearly states that we have the exclusive right to use photos of work we do on the clients property. In turn we also agree that we will not disclose the exact address or name of the client in using the photo, only general locations such as the town/city/area the work is in and only recognize the client by initials.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I use a few customers lawns for a picture refference. I just asked for their permission, I didn't get a picture of the address numbers though. But still just get theri permission and I'm sure there wouldn't be much of a problem.

4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I would ask their permission. You can take a copy of the photo for them to view and get a signature on a simple release form.....

Most customers would be flattered to know you are considering using a photo of their property for a brochure, IMO

5. billsfanvt

billsfanvt LawnSite Member

Wow, good info guys and I can't believe how quick I got a response thankyou for answering my question.