question on waterproofing

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bigviclbi, Oct 25, 2007.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

A customer wants a raised patio about a foot off the ground. He has asbestos shingles which I am not going to remove. Can I just put tar paper against the house, plastic, what? There is a gutter and an eve overhanging where the patio will meet the house so I don't think rain from above will be a problem, more so from the ground up. Usually I would remove the siding but this one is a little different. Suggestions?

2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

The first thing you should be looking at is what type of foundation your working with. if your patio is up against framing at only 1' high you may have an unbalanced fill issue. Is it a basement, if so block or poured concrete, or is it a crawl space? how thick are the walls? you should be looking at these things first if you haven't already done that.

3. bigviclbi

from nj

Its a block foundation. Maybe I will build a back wall.

4. McKeeLand

does it have a basement?

5. bigviclbi

from nj

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Don't remove the siding. There are big fines for not having a licensed asbestos contractor do the work. The homeowner can do it w/ no problems, but big no-no for anyone else w/o notifications.

7. McKeeLand

you shouldn't have a problem with a craw, however given the asbestos siding situation maybe a raised patio is not the right application there. you need to remove the siding a water proof behind it to do it right.