Question on XDZ 44" deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pyromedic, Apr 2, 2008.

1. pyromedic

pyromedic LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was wondering if it is normal for a deck with this blade speed to accumulate almost 30lbs of build in less than 30mins of mowing my acreage. I did not have this unit last spring and have been general unimpressed with the performance of the deck. I have a neighbor who mows with a Lazer HP 52" and has minimal buildup after cutting his side of the fence in similar Texas wild weeds and ryes that are prevalent this time of year in the DFW area. When mowing through the spring with my previous 15 yr old unit , I would have some issues with buildup , but that deck had no baffling or good airflow to speak of. This XDZ claims to be able to mow it all but several times yesterday I clogged the discharge while mowing at a crawl through the 6-8" thick mix. I then jacked it up, and proceeded to remove 30lbs of crud with the left blade area nearly being down to the blade. I did not get the mulch kit and I am wouldering what could be going on. Any assistance or suggestions will be appreciated.

Stay safe.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hummmm....

Have you checked the actual engine RPM with the blades engaged?
    I mean with a small engine tach?

Past that are you mowing with the discharge chute up or down?

Most seem to claim that the X-Factor deck stays clean.
    But thinking back, I can't remember anyone talking about the 44" specifically.

It may just be a thing with the 44" deck. Smaller decks usually run a higher blade RPM in order to achieve similar blade tip speed of their larger brothers. This makes them mulch better sometimes, but also makes them prone to clogging.

I don't know though... I had a 52" Lazer and the deck on that sob clogged with buildup and needed scraping every time I turned around. Practically useless on anything juicy or damp.... unless you wanted to spend as much time under the mower deck as you did over it... lol.

Point being, something doesn't sound right about your 44" Gravely.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Mine has that deck, I believe. Zero buildup problems. In fact, it surprised me how much less it would have compared to my exmark and toros. I use high lifts when discharging, but try medium lift blades, as high lifts probably plaster the top of the deck more.

Also be realistic about mowing height and how much you're taking off at once. Completely unbaffled mowers will cut high weeds better I've found, but can't manicure some grasses as well.

And be sure to check your deck's pitch. Mine was delivered with the rear of the blades lower than the fronts. Should be no more than 1/4" lower in front than in rear, also.

4. pyromedic

from Texas

The discharge on this one is either down or off, but when comparing the 44 to the 52 the discharge is almost 2x the size. I have not checked the engine RPM with a tach and it does not bog until the discharge fills up on the WEEDS. I bought this XDZ in order to stay on the mower or in front of the big screen, not under it. It has me baffled and I will be making a trip to the dealer this weekend. Thanks for the comments.
    Stay safe.

5. pyromedic

from Texas

Bruce32
    Are you using the stock blades when you say high lift? I have some suggest to use exmark blades but I aint wanting to have to buy other mfgs blades, I know that the deck mows grass very well, problem I have is my property is a mix of everything. I want to make this work but the more I mow the more I find out is a problem with the cutting of my normal cutting. Thanks.
    Stay safe .

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The more I think about it, the more I have to agree with Brucec32...

Probably the deck pitch... probably higher-in-front/lower-in-back... (measured at the blade tips)

Might be lower on the right than left too, which can cause this...

7. pyromedic

from Texas

Thanks I will get out the tape measure and see what it is, mine was shipped higher in the front and on most grass in Oct/Nov I would be covered with blowout, dropped it level and improved, dropped to 1/4" lower and it went away . But I still am having to spensd a lot of time under the deck.

Stay safe.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The discharge on the 44 is almost 2X the size of the 52? If thats the case then the 44 doesnt have the X-Factor deck. The X-Factor has a smaller opeing. What year is your mower?

9. pyromedic

from Texas

My mistake, I meant that the 52 is 2x the opening of my 44 deck, it is a 2007 model XDZ. the front baffle does not taper to the leading edge like the other XDZ decks do, it maintains the 2.5 setback across the front of the mower and out the discharge, or at least the deck I have does. I have the rep from Gravely coming out to see what the issue is on the unit this week, will let all know what the outcome is. Thanks for the comments.

Stay safe.