Question regarding a "ding" to a new Honda 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kadman, May 3, 2007.

1. Kadman

Kadman LawnSite Member

I've poked around a bit and tried not to be a pest (i.e. no posting but searching and finding almost everything I've needed), but I did somethign dumb and would like some input.

Today I bought a new Honda HRX217HXA (homeowner with approx 1/2 acre that I mow). Like an idiot I didn't get the mower strapped down well enough in the back of the truck. All was fine until I pulled up the driveway and put on the brakes. I heard the mower roll forward and hit the storage box. The box is elevated, so the front part of the mower rolled under it, but part of the motor hit the box and did a bit of damage to the plate on the front of the motor.

I'm embarassed to say that I don't exactly know what part this is, but it's unpainted aluminum with the "OHC" stamped into it. It didn't hit REAL hard, but hard enough that it has two vertical dents in it that correspond to the ridges of the corugated side of the storage box in the truck.

So, what exactly is that part and how big of a problem is this? Give it to me straight! :confused: I did mow the yard and it ran fine as far as I could tell. The only thing I found odd is that even on the fast speed it would nearly die when I engaged the blades, but I don't know if that's the way they all are or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking that it is just the muffler cover. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Kadman

Kadman LawnSite Member

That was my first reaction as well, but I don't think that's the case. I see the muffler hanging off to the side, encased in a shield. I guess it could be a portion of the exhaust (certainly feels like that light type of aluminum), but this plate is bolted with 4 bolts to what looks to be the head of the cylinder. I could be wrong (and hope I am!)

Thanks for the response!

4. Kadman

Kadman LawnSite Member

Ack! I remembered that I used to have access to a Honda online parts catalog and found that it still works. I looked up the diagram and it is indead the head cover! What I DON'T know is what the implications of denting this is. The dents aren't that deep, and are almost lined up (2 vertical dents) between the three letters making it O|H|C where the | are where the dents are. I hope this isn't tragic and I'm just being paranoid. Sorry to be a pest, but this is a lot of money in my book. I could kick myself for this...

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Call honda as ask. Maybe they will send you a new cover.

6. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

OHC stands for Over Head Camshaft. The part you dented is the cam/valve cover. As long as there are no oil leaks and the engine runs without any internals hitting the dents (you said you ran it already) then you are fine. Just cosmetic in nature but a new one and a gasket from honda shouldn't cost that much if it bothers you. Personally if it were me I would leave it alone and let it serve as a reminder to tie it down better.

Hope this helps

7. jmkb72

jmkb72 LawnSite Member

Yes, what he said. If you really want piece of mind just remove those 4 bolts and valve cover and look at the dented part of the cover from the inside to see if anything has been striking it. Like valve rocker arms or cam lobes, those are moving parts.
    As far as the other question about it nearly dieing. I think you where saying it would do that when you engaged the blade. The best practise for engaging the blade (loading the engine) is to do it over pavement or already cut grass so that the intial load is lessened. Also if you can do it without killing the engine do it at a lesser rpm that wide open. That is a topic of debate between doing it at full rpm and the harmfull affects of slamming that load on a fast running engine thus increasing stress on parts and doing it at too low of a rpm the harmfull effects of stressing/over loading the engine to the point of killing it. Some where in between is best I think, leaner toward the higher rpm side.
    Hope that helps.

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

If it is running fine and not leaking leave it alone. If you pull it off, order a new cover because the old one will probably not seal back up. They dont use a gasket. They use Honda Bond...basically a liquid gasket. And those covers are usually stuck on there pretty good so when you pull them off they will deform a bit in some way. If you try to reuse it, it will probably leak.

However, if you want they do make a different cover. It is used on the higher end GS series of engines. Basically the same engine with an iron liner and ball bearings on the crankshaft. Anyway, the cover on those engines use a gasket. The cover is also a heavy cast piece instead of a stamped piece. You can use that cover and gasket along with the proper bolts if you want something that wont bend in the future. However that one will crack if you hit it really hard instead of bending...

9. Kadman

Kadman LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses everyone! This really gives me the level of detail I think I need to make a decision. Given that the engine has been running strong, I'll likely leave it alone. There doesn't seem to be any reason to crack it open other than the cosmetics and I'm not worried about that. If it starts running rough and I suspect it's due to this, then I'll order a replacement cover. Thanks again!