Question regarding insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BruinLawn, Apr 23, 2013.

1. BruinLawn

BruinLawn LawnSite Member

Do I need to become an LLC before I can purchase liability insurance? I was hoping for the first couple years to just have Liability insurance and to hold off on becoming an LLC (or is that a bad idea). What is the first step in getting insured? Do I need to register my business name? Or does the insurance go under my name? Basically I'm lost any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. fordsrule

fordsrule LawnSite Member

You can get insurance as a sole proprietor. I would suggest you talk to an insurance agent. They will be able to tell you what you need to do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

No. Though you need to have your business registered. Usually with the county.

4. BruinLawn

BruinLawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help.

5. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

The business needing to be registered varies with location. Some places are a pain, others it's just a dba when you open a bank account. Ask around, you may need a license from state or local governments, including a "privilege license" from a nearby city you don't live in. You can get insurance for the business regardless of how you operate. Some agents specialize in green industry and related lines. If you can find one nearby I'd go that route.