1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question regarding play area for child?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by FIRESCOOBY, Apr 23, 2005.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I am wanting to make a play area for my girl (just turned 1 year). We bought a very large swingset/ slide that can be used for many years.

My plan is using 6X6 PT landscape timbers to make the area. I was planning on using sand to fill but someone was telling me about a "sand parasite"? I also got to thinking about cats. We have some inconsiderate neighbors that leave their cats to freely roam. I am sure they will use the sand as their "litter box".

I would like to do the rubber mulch, but it seems very expensive.

Anyone have any other ideas as what to use? Thanks
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

For many years the pediatric association was suggesting using pea stone 6" minimum under swing sets. We have built many swing set sites using pea stone. My own experience is that my youngest daughter would spread the peastones from one end of the yard to the other playing with them. I would now recommend the rubberific mulch.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Firescooby, I would not use sand like you said in your thread, CATS! they think its their own personal litter box. Have tried just regular mulch? a fine cut type. They make rubber matting but probably expensive though. I think your kinda limitted if you don't want to spend the $$$$ for rubber matting. :waving:
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

hey have mulches specialy made for play areas such as playground Shocklab and some other names they are certified and tested to be safe for playgrounds.Do a search.
  5. rsls

rsls LawnSite Member

i have pea gravel in my children's play area and it works well. i have also used sand and it tends to make a mess with the kids and a great litter box for the cats. :blob3:
  6. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Pea stone here as well. I'm about to re-edge it with 4x6 timbers but the pea stone works well and is about 1/2 the price of the rubberized mulch. There is also no need to replace it on an annual basis. There is not really an issue with the kids spreading it in the grass either, we set the limits when the kids come over to play.
  7. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

A few years ago I remember the school board here switched all of the play areas like that to pea gravel, for just those reasons, because of the cats, and there were some other reasons too. (I think maybe parasites, but can't recall now for sure.)
  8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Check some of your local day care facilities.

Pensacola, Florida

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys. i guess pea gravel it is.

Thanks for the help.
  10. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. there are several brands/types designed for play grounds. Search the dealers in your area.