Question regarding rock removal from lawns

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Davis Lawn Mowing LLC, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I was not sure where to pose this question but here goes. I tossed away my last Turf magazine that had an advertisement in it for a sweeper type deal that removes rocks from lawns specifically used in the spring after snowplows are done and shoot rocks into yards. I cannot remember the name of the company or the machine but I was looking into purchasing one and if any knows the name of the machine or company that would be a great help. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Any of the rubber paddled powerbroom attachments are the way to go. Hands down, there is just absolutely nothing that can touch them. Shindaiwa makes one, and Stihl makes one. I have the Stihl that I run on the FS 75 which also doubles as my stickedger later in the season. But as I say, there is just nothing that compares to thes. You run them just over idle - barely any throttle at all and the stuff moves right out. Out of lawn, out of ditches (uphill), anywhere. Oh,..and just a little helpful tip. Run the attachment upsidedown on the machine (turned 180 degrees) so you are pulling the machine, not pushing it. It pulls with about as much resistance as a rake with no downpressure on it does. This is because it just sort of glides over the top, but it is VERY effectictive at moving the stuff CLEAN. You just have to see one work to really belive just how well they work. And no, the brush ones and the tine dethatcher ones don't work as well as the paddles for this type of application.

3. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

From the Ames company, it's called a "rake". Sells for about $10.:)

4. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I also saw the ad that I think you saw but have not been able to find it again. My Shindaiwa PowerBroom works well for me but I am always interested in something that might do a better job.