Question to dealers with retail stores.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by beransfixitinc, Nov 23, 2004.

1. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

I know this site is mainly for the lawncare prefessional, however, I also know many dealers pop in from time to time, and I would like to get a rough idea of building sizes. This size to include shop area, showfloor area, and offices, inventory room, bathrooms, etc. Also, if you have a rough estimate of the population in your "home city", that being the city in which your physical building is located.

If you can break it down by how many sf of service area you have, and how many sf of showroom area you have, that'd be great.

I am trying to prove a point to somebody.. so, as many responses as possible would be appreciated.

The main importance is the size of your building in relation to the population of your area.

Thanks in advance for dealers that take the time to help me here.

2. beransfixitinc

Come on.. I know there are other dealers that haunt this place.. if you don't feel comfortable posting openly, please PM me or something. I need some ammunition to backup my claim that a building of 5000sf is just barely big enough as it is. The owner is wanting to cut the new location design down to 4000sf now!

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Office space: 200sf
    Showroom: 1500sf
    Parts: 400sf
    Shop and storage: 600sf
    Restrooms: 2-small
    Only the office is air conditioned space.
    Our town has a population of about 100,000.
    We started with half this space last year. Just rented the rest of the building to get where we are now.

4. beransfixitinc

I guess as a piece of additional information, I should ask how many other repair shops/outdoor power equipment dealers there are within a 20 mile radius of your location also, or if you are the only location.

Also, if your building is spaced to the requirements of the Americans With Disabilities Act, as a new building would have to be constructed to meet those requirements.

Additional factors in size could be what commercial lines you carry, and how much you stock on them.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Two competitors here in town, two more 15 miles down the interstate. However, it can often take 45 min. to go that 15 miles, so most commercial guys buy here in town.
    I have no idea what ADA requirements are. We rent the building, so the landlord will have to make any changes if required.
    We do have one "handicaped" restroom, the access to the building is flat, no steps, and we have a wide door for an entrance. I think we are ok.
    We have two lines of mowers, and two lines of handheld equipment. Usually have 10 - 15 mowers on hand, and 30+ weedeaters/edgers.etc.
    Hope this helps.