Question to those of you that have used Flyers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by moremow, Nov 17, 2006.

1. moremow

moremow LawnSite Member
    from roanoke

I have never used the flyers before. I do not know how you go about getting the flyers to the potential clients. Are you using a mail drop through the postal service to do this. Are you going out in neighborhoods and putting them in the newspaper boxes or on the door handles? I want to give it a try if it has been successfull. Also if you use the postal service in anytype of capacity do they charge you the typical cost for postage for each one. Sorry if these sound like dumb questions but I want to go to the people with experience and then I wont be so dumb anymore. Thanks in advance. Moremow,,,Roanke Va

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Lots of money to use the mail--- If you do, go to the P O and get a bulk mail # .
    But the best way is to just pass them out. (do not put them in mail boxes)
    Paper box ot door is OK. Kids are good to help

3. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

I stick the flyers inbetween the mailbox and the mailbox flag. It is illegal to put anything in the mailbox, but it isn't to put it on it. It's easy to drive a route and stick them in quick. Plus, you can guarantee they'll look at it because they definitely see it first before they get their mail. I always, always, always, get a good return of business when I do it this way. I get a 2-3% return on it. If I place 500 flyers, I can almost bet I'll get a good solid week of work, and a couple of new mowing customers.

4. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i got 13 customers by just putting up a flyer with the "tear off" things..i cant explain it...i put a couple up at local banks and at the local food store and drug store....if you have a senior citizens place by you give them a flyer or 2 or 3

the flyer i posted looks like this..lol kind of..hope you get the gist...its cheap and effective

| | | | | | | |
    | | | | | | | |<~ my number

5. PMLAWN

The USPS owns the whole mail box and does not allow putting on the flag either.(at least in our area) Use the paper box or post.

6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

You can also try putting them on peoples cars under the wiper blade at flea markets ,you can cover lots of people that way.

7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We've been using flyers for a long time and have found that the best method is using thumbtacks on the wood just beneath the mailbox. You can have 2 guys ride in a neighborhood with one as the driver and the other tacking flyers. The mailbox is the governments, but the post belongs to the homeowner and alot of people already have a tack on there for you.

http://katyflyer.com is a full service flyer distributor, but they are only in certain areas.

ValuPak, Door Store, and other mass mailers are a good resource also.

Good luck with your endeavors!

8. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Go out and buy some 110lb paper stock at your local office supply store and set up your computer to print so that you end up with three 8 1/2" long flyers from one sheet of paper. The paper's stiff enough to stick it between the door and the weather seal. If you're just starting out you probably have more free time than you have work so that gives you plenty of time to pass these out yourself. If you can get help, that's even better. You can knock out a big subdivision in a couple of hours. Make it look professional and if you do decide to put prices on it, make sure your price is fair for you, your competition and the customer. I passed out flyers just recently for blowouts and my prices were way higher than all the other flyers that I was seeing and I still had more work than I could handle. I worked less than the lowballers and made more money. Also, on your flyer, you might want to mention that you're licensed and insured (you are aren't you?) Flyers work as long as you have the time and energy to pass them out. Good luck.

9. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

mojob...how many of those do you print at one time??? I'd think you could go through an entire ink cartridge printing a few thousand???

10. PMLAWN

Just another cost of doing business, I ran 3 printers at a time,(faster), and yes you will burn thru ink Buy about 4-5 cartridges