Question: will a 15hp Kohler run a 52" deck???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Double D, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

This is the situation---
    I have a 52" Snapper hydro w/17 Kaw. , I also have a 36" Snapper belt drive w/15 Kohler. I use the 36" on about 80% of the accounts, while the hydro sits on the trailer. Do you guys (and girls) think that the Kohler will run the 52" deck. The decks are interchangable according to the dealer. I know that the 17 Kaw. might be overkill on the 36" deck, but I wonder how the 52" would do with the 15hp. Please, no comments on how much more productive the 52" over the 36". I use the 52" when I can, but the make up of my properties this year dictate using the 36" most of the time. Comments welcome, and thanks in advance.

2. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My Toro has a 52" deck with a 15hp Kawasaki twin, it has plenty of power. It turns around 3550 under load with duoble blades, gators on top.

3. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

There will be enough power 95% of the time.

It depends on how efficient the deck is also. I am not sure how good the deck is on the model you are talking about.

Try it and see. Expect the occasional wishing you had more power.

Barry Adamski
    Gravely Engineer

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You will be ok if you don't let the grass get real high.

Does this mean I don't get the free help one day???

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Ive got a Kohler 15HP and as you know its a one lunger. It has decent power to propel my 44" Toro WB and it pulls me (210lbs) around on a Proslide. I run doubles on it and it cuts great.

I would assume that it would work on a 52 but I think you will be right at the end of your power limit in really thick stuff.

I'd say to give it a try, thats how we learn. Good Luck.

6. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

Well, I just got through switching the two decks out. Damn, that 52" deck is one heavy mother. Hoss, I will be more than happy to give you that free help we talked about. I am sure you will be buying lunch, right.:) I will keep anyone posted that is wondering how this all turns out. Thanks to those who replied.

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

try it. people ran 15 horse on yazoo 60" mowers 15 years ago. Dave g