Question with Exmark cutting problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by choppi23, Jul 8, 2008.

1. choppi23

choppi23 LawnSite Member

I have a 2008 46" Exmark Lazer Z HP with a Triton deck for my residential jobs. Bought it brand new. I am having troubles with it cutting. It is missing grass where the center of the blades are. I have sharpened blades, the baffle is adjusted to its highest point, and I cut varying from 3 - 4 inches. The deck is clean (no collected grass) and the blades aren't bent. I'm looking for suggestions on what could be wrong so i can avoid going back to the dealer. I've tried 2 different sets of blades. My only other guess is that, it's a 19hp kawasaki and it just doesn't have enough power to get the blades moving fast enough to keep up with the land speed of the mower. Although even when I slow it down to a crawl it still misses. HELP!? I'm a rook I've only been at this for 3 years and this is my first Exmark cuz I had an offer that I couldn't refuse. All I have owned before were Scag walk behinds so I'm completely lost right now after going through all those adjustments. HELP!
  2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Triton Deck
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Should have went with a Scag again.
    You might be stuck with it now. Take it back to the dealer and tell them to put a Ultra cut deck on it or you want your money back.
  4. f1r3w4ll

f1r3w4ll LawnSite Member

Dont think the problem is your Kaw 19 cuz i got 36 scag 17 Kaw and no problem at all.

Check the blades put the blades in straight line and look for a free space.

Or you go to fast can be too low RPM
  5. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

Check and see if the blades are of the same length. Don't be surprised if their not.
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The problem is the Triton deck. This has been gone over on this site 500X in the last 2 years. Your only fix is to get rid of it or see if they will put an ultracut deck on it. Otherwise its never going to cut good. I know this isnt what you want to hear but its the cold hard fact.
  7. Scagman61

Scagman61 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

trade it in! haha! no i had this problem with the 48" scags i had before they came out with the velocity deck. i would run double blades on them and be fine. the problem is do you have enough HP to keep up the tip speed? if not they make a "high-lift" blade that is supposed to solve the problem. Last resort.... double cut the yard. should have bought a scag!
  8. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a mulching deck get the mulch blades made for the Triton deck. I see all these complaints about this deck here and I havn't had a problem when running the correct blades. I have a 27 HP 50" Lazer HP with the Triton platform.

I had the ultracut deck previously and it gave me a great cut regardless of blade selection. You must use the right blades for that deck.
  9. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

So your saying the stock blades are the wrong ones?? The OP said even the stockers were giving him a bad cut. The triton deck has problems. From what im hearing the '09's(ztr's..not sure about WB's) will have the ultracut deck with triton spindels. Few guys near me tried every blade the dealer had. Still not happy with the cut............:usflag:
  10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have the same mower and it cuts fine. I'm mulching so when it's thick it will miss stuff but the cut always comes out good.