Question with Overseeding Bermuda

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Watwood, May 17, 2007.

1. Watwood

Watwood LawnSite Member

Bermuda sod yard. It has some bare areas as well as some thin areas. I was talking to one associate about overseeding and he said wait till it was good and hot and do it, but was talking to the guys at Lesco today and they were saying not to, but to get pieces of sod and lay them in. The reason being that the sod is probably a hybrid and I may get the wrong seed. If I find out what type of hybrid the sod is will this be a huge issue, or should I even worry about it at all?

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'd go with the sod as well. Much quicker.

Find out what kind the bermuda is and get back to us.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

They're both right.Bermuda seed needs warm soil temps to germinate.Usually seeding is not done until May,but can be done through the summer if the customer can keep it wet.
    Now,bermuda seed is either a common or an improved common.Sod is usually a hybrid,unless you find it at some fly by night company.So,the different textures won't match.The hybrid will grow much thicker than the common or improved common.Common is generally used as horse pasture grass.
    Next,most of our sod growers in this area are using a Tifway variety.Mainly Tifway 419,so you should have no problem finding sod to match.