1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Sep 4, 2005.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

This doesn't have much to do with anything, other than my own curiosity, but I've noted threads on here where people express their desire to do immaculate work, and others seem to take little pride in the finished product, and more in the cash in hand.

Here is the scenario. You've just mowed and blowed Joe's yard. This isn't a big account, as your business goes, but he pays regularly and has never complained about a thing. You have your ZTR loaded, your trim mower sitting in the back of your pickup, and your trimmer locked on the trimmer rack in anticipation of calling it a day and heading home.

As you open the door to your truck, you happen to look toward Joe's house, and realize you inadvertently cut a corner a little too tight with the ZTR leaving a triangular shaped piece of unmowed turf maybe a square foot in area. You think, "CRAP", but know Joe will never mention it, even if he happens to notice it, which he probably won't.

Now, for the question. Which of the following would you do?

A. Walk over, bend down, and pull off the longer blades, minimizing the unmowed look.

B. Unlock a trimmer, fire it up and knock down the offending blades.

C. Unload the 21, start it up, and mow the area.

D. Climb in the truck and head for the house.
  2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would choose answer B.
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on the yard and the customer and also where the uncut area was in the yard. For this situation, I would also choose B.
  4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Depending of the location and how lush the grass is, could be A, B or....even D. But never C. Not gonna drag a mower off the truck to cut a square foot of grass...
  6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Something like that would eat at me. I'm very anal about how a lawn looks when I'm done. I would definitely choose B.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If we see it, the answer is B, it usually only takes a minute to fix a few missed blades of grass. We don't try for perfection, but we won't leave anything intentionally.
  8. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

I think most of us are gonna answer with B
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

This is a no brainer, answer B.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

B Never forget we all have competition most customers are looking for some reason to fire us.