Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncutterupper, Sep 5, 2005.

1. lawncutterupper

lawncutterupper LawnSite Member

Quick question for anyone who charges per cut on their weekly accounts. Lets say you have 8 lawns to cut on Tuesday but it rains all day Tuesday and all day Wednesday, so you cut hte 8 lawns on Thursday...What woudl you do next week? Cut on Tuesday or just wait till Thursday, if you cut Tuesday some customers might not want you to cut after only 5 days but waiting till Thursday will change your scheldule everytime it rains? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I figure on a 5-day minimum before returning to mow again. And if you just had 2 days straight of rain, I'm sure most of your lawns will need mowing after 5 days.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

If we can't make them up the NEXT day then we wait until the next scheduled time

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

next week, you cut on tuesday

5. lawncutterupper

thanks for your replys

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Next week you cut on Tuesday, and if they ask you why you are cutting 5 days later, let them know to get them back on schedule you are dropping the extra fee for cutting 9 days of growth last week. Explain that the adjustment puts them right back at normal charge as if you cut it 7 days ago. Their head will be spinning, but they should leave you alone.

Have you had problems in the past? I don't see a customer getting upset over your scenario. If we get rained out for more then 2 days then we will adjust the route temporally, but they will be back on schedule in two weeks. Example: Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday gets rained out and we can not work until Thursday. Thursday we start on Wednesday work and try to get caught up by Saturday morning doing Wednesday, Thursday, and Fridays work. Then On Saturday and Sunday we will do Monday and Tuesday's work and then the following week they get put back on schedule. This loses you a cut and makes cutting them a little harder but if you demand a schedule then it's the easiest way I have found. For this reason I wish all my customers were on a flat 12 month billing.

Back in the day I would leave Wednesday open for makeup, this way you can make up Monday and tuesday on this day, or if you forecast rain on Thursday or Friday you can start them a day early. Life isn't that easy with a full work week.

7. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Soupy's got the golden ticket!

8. lawncutterupper

good idea soupy, Iv been doing it similar, its jsut that I dont like the fact that I lose a week, but in the long run I guess it wont break me. Thanks again