Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AVRECON, Mar 17, 2001.

1. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I know alot of you guys do residential primarily, so would you please tell me how you can get them to let you mow their yard on a monday or tuesday. Considering that most folks want it done closer to the weekend?

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Its very easy. You put the neighborhood of your highest paying customers on friday. Then add your second highest, and the third highest, etc. etc. etc.

Eventually you will have setermined where you have openings on your route. These are now the days that you have available and when someone calls you up, they get put on the list according to the correlation between their location and your route.

I always started the route out doing the farthest ones, like those in the countryside or those in less than desireable neighborhoods.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I do it pretty much the same as kris, nicer neighborhoods on friday or thurs. I only go out of the way for a couple of them so not too bad.

4. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I run a route but it is so spread out, I mean I might go from a $60 or $70 account and then have to go to a $30 account because of logistics. And just about all of those customers want it done as close to the weekend as possible. Of course I tell them between wed-fri are the days for my residential accounts, but I'm trying to beef up my residential and I'm thinking some of those will have to be done earlier in the week. I mean if I was the customer I wouldn't want my lawn done on mon or tue. The lawns here grow extremly fast because of high heat and humidity, If you mow it on mon it looks like crap for the weekend. Thanx for the input!~

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

First thing for you to consider would be for you to decrease the number of days between cuttings. If you can virtually finish you route in three days than go to a 5 day mowing schedule to keep on track of things.

Second thing you need to do is knuckle down and condense your route:

If you are spending more time trailering than cutting either make the client pay the difference, or I would try making them work for you.

Explain to them that they are just too far off the beaten path which is costing you money to maintain their account. Let them know that you wish to continue ,aintaing their property but you would appreciate it if they could get 2 neighbors to sign up realitively close by so that you can continue to service their account without it costing you money.

Otherwise recommend them to another contractor and start making some money elsewhere!!

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I do jobs however it is convenient to me. I try to to put them on the days they like but it isn't possible to please everyone. If it is a big concern for you maby you should concider getting a part time employee to help with those heavy days.