Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 1999frontier, Jul 18, 2006.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Next year I would like to maintain the church that I attends lawn. The total lot is 10 acres, but I think just grass it may be like 6 but not for sure. I would have to ask for sure. I also know that I will have to upgrade my equipment from what I have now which is a Craftsman 42" rider. I was thinking about getting the John Deere 717A ZTR w/48" deck. I was wondering if that would be overkill on the mower. I also have 6 more lawns that I but and most are pretty small ranging 1/4 acre to probably 3/4 acre. Any feedback will be appreciated. By the way this is an awesome site.

2. 1999frontier

from NC

Should I have asked would that be a good mower to use for that and my others that I cut since they are no more than an acre?

3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you looking to get in this biz full time eventually. The 48 inch john deer should be fine for a little while(for the church). The others the mower will be perfect. Just consider up grading to a Z eventually the strain of 6 acres a week on 1 job w/48" is a little much.

4. 1999frontier

from NC

Right now the church only has it cut every two weeks. I want to eventually get in this full time but right now it is just part time while I keep my current full time job. How much would you charge for 6 acres? It is pretty much wide open. Not that much trimming probably 30 minutes.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

6 acres goes for 235 here but I believe a church won't pay much over 175... Haven't had much to do with churches other than anytime they ask me for an estimate, I never get the job :confused:

6. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

I would estimate 6 acers w48" w/b (w/velke dont want to walk 6 acres) about 3.5-4hrs @35$ a cut 140 every 2 weeks. You could throw in a small dis. scince its YOUR church. Maybe 260 a month.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I do my Church. It takes me about 3 hours total for just over three acres and trimming around the playground and stuff and having to cut the culvert with a 21". I get $100.00 from them which means I am doing it for nothing. I would be about 2 times that anywhere else. Buying a mower to do just that will be a loss. Decide what you want to "give" to the Church. As most people that work at the Church are doing just that -Giving.
    Also really think about what the Church will get from you cutting- In my case the Church may actually be losing,
    With drive time I spend around 4+ hours getting the job done. As no one else is capable of doing it right now the other option would be to hire it out. Say around $175-$200. So they are saving around $75-$100. But that is 4 hours that I am not working for profit in my job. As a 15% giver that 4 hours is costing them around $90 so it is about a wash for them. ( a lot of my income is passive so they still do OK) Decide what you time is worth to your Church