Question?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dunn's, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

The other day a dealer tried to tell me that the gear drive t-bar was the greatest invention ever for mowers and better than using a hydro. I myself have never used one but am wondering your oppinions on them.The discussions started because I called asking about a 32" hydro and his response was why in the world would you want a 32" hydro. I informed him because most of the gates in our area could not fit a 36" in my oppinion flipping a mower on its side to get through a gate is not fitting.sorry just wanted to give the full story. So any oppinions/

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Never used the T-bar Hydro. But your Wright the 32 fits thru just about all gates, we still use an old kee's kutter 32 inch W.B. Its perfect here in our area with these old homes with 34 inch gates.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The T-Bar is a good mower--- The Hydro is an even better one.
    The Hydro unit will be much more productive and therefore will be a cheaper unit to buy.

4. Dunn's

ok I thought hydro was better thats what we use now but this guy was sure that the t-bar was better. They must make more money on it.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have experience with both types of mower. The T-bars are decent but hydro rules all! JMO

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Where did you go? "Topsites Outdoor Power Equipment"??? :laugh:

7. PMLAWN

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ROTFLMAO!!

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One thing to consider, is this is coming straight out of the "salesman's" mouth. Right from a guy who has probably never even used either one (let alone both), and doesn't have a clue. They think that walking one around for 5 or 10 minutes gives them all the insight and experience in the world. They have never even FELT a hill before, and would probably be lost when trying to run a ditch.

9. Dunn's

He was the owner of the dealership.But still a salesman none the less and you know how they work. Me being 25 doesn't help either they all think they can bully me into buying something. unfortunately that is what I have delt with every dealer I have dealt with so far argue with me about everything even the landscape suppliers. A few tried to tell me ONYX plastic edging didn't exist or they would of heard of it. but get this when I call permaloc to get some of their dealers in my area guess what the first name they give me is that landscape supply that tried to argue about the existence.Now how can I take their advice on anything when they don't even know something that they are a supplier of exists.LOL

10. PMLAWN

Well dealers are a lot like LCOs-- about 1 in 20 is worth having around:laugh: