1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bulls_mowing, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Bulls_mowing

Bulls_mowing LawnSite Member

When you quote someones lawn. Does everyone always say to you its to expensive?

if yes what do you do with the customers that do that. I mean is the price to expensive or is the customer trying to get a lower price if you see where im going with this.

Thanks for reading
  2. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

I have had "prospective" customers say that to me. I let them them know that we have operating costs like every other bussiness, and that we are here to make money, if they want a cheaper price they are welcome to shop around. Never sacrifice your bottom line for a customer.
  3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone tries to get a lower price. Even we do it. When shopping for mowers, blades, trash bags, oil, gas, ect.....
    If you know your price is good, stick with it. But if you are new and unsure of your price or need the work badly, you could come down a few dollars. BUT DON"T DO ANYTHING IF YOU ARE NOT GONNA MAKE MONEY FROM IT.
    If you know your price is fair, stick to your bid, they just may be trying to save a dollar, we all do it.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Most of them will say or think that. That's the nature of doing business. I however NEVER say something like "we are here to make money".
    I sell them on the 23 years experience and success in the business, and let them know that it is VALUE more than cost since they will be getting superior workmanship and care. If it is just a mediocre care level they are looking for for an economical price, I'll be happy to refer them to another service. I'm not afraid of telling them that I can always find someone cheaper for them. Their lawn won't look like what it will with me, but they will get what they pay for.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on what you are selling-- Grass cutting?? than yes it probabily is too much

But professional landscape maintenance that will make the homeowner proud and add value to their home and free time to their lives----- What are you selling???