Question?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by David W, Oct 24, 2007.

1. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you guys ever come up against a grassy weed called "cheet" or "cheat grass"?

I just did a new lawn install and seeded with a good tall fescue blend. It is growing towards it's fifth week now and we have mowed it twice. Although the fescue if coming in great, there is another weed that is covered over the whole yard and grows 3 times as fast as the fescue.

I described it to a sod farmer friend and the thought it sounded like cheet grass. If it ever quits raining here I will take some pics to post.

Anyhow, you guys who have come in contact with this stuff, what have you used to maintain?

2. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

3. David W

Here are a few pics. What you guys think? I thought it was rye at first but none was planted.

You can clearly see the fescue vs. this other stuff. I can't put my finger on it other than I put down 2-3 inches of good sifted topsoil as a base before seeding.

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0053b.JPG

DSC_0055b.JPG

4. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

5. David W

Great!

Thanks a ton for the info Newt...appreciate it.

6. David W

Posted too quick. What plan of action you guys take for this. I'm assuming its probably too late in the year to fix; wait till Spring or will the fescue eventually choke it out?

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Look very carefully at the pattern of where exactly the grassy weed appears. If it is in patches or slightly different where different truck loads of topsoil were brought in, there is your answer. HOWEVER...If it occurs uniformly across every area that was seeded. It probably came from the seed itself. Or from the straw or mulch. Wheat is possible if wheat straw. Can you identify annual ryegrass? That is my guess.

I had a customer redo his yard due to crappy seed. Roundup --rototill--reseed--and he planted crappy seed. Can you believe it! Lots of annual ryegrass. Tall, wide blade, yellow color, thick base of plant with distinct red color at the soil level. Also long clasping auricles.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Reread your post. If no rye was in the seed mix...I change my guess to wheat--from the straw. It should not persist for long.

9. David W

Thanks for the info...no rey whatsoever was in the seed. Straight tall fescue blend. I too that it might have come from the soil or possibly straw as I did a total kill on this.

Thanks again.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

what types of tall fescue were included with the seed?