Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by flyerd124, Apr 30, 2008.

1. flyerd124

flyerd124 LawnSite Member

Hello all. I am new to this list and I think it is great. My question is that I am going down this week to regester my business. Should I do a DBA, LLC, or Should I Inc. and why. I thank you for any advise I get.

2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you're gonna grow your business to need a bunch of employees, I would stick with a dba or an LLC. Plus, if you incorporate, there is an annual fee to stay incorporated.
    As I understand it, the difference between an LLC and a dba is that an LLC separates you from your company and protects your personal belongings; with a dba, your personal belongings are connected to your business.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, I have never run an LLC, just dba.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

However there are ways to protect your personal assets eventhough your a DBA,

ALSO, "it gets tricky here" Most NOT ALL. Most who file a DBA are also considered self employed......

The tax laws get tricky on this one....
  4. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

What the others have said. If you want complete separation from yourself and your business do either an llc or become incorporated. A dba is basically just an alias, but that's all it is.
  5. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

We have to pay $300.00 annually for our LLC. Plus we have to file F/E tax form wich is a minimum of $100.00 to file. Not to mention the extra cost the CPA charges for an LLC.

If you carry a good amount of insurance and you are mainly going to do all the work I would recommend just being a sole prop. Unless you have a ton of assets that you thought someone may try to sue and take everything you have. But like I said If you carry 1 million in gen. liability it should cover any problems that you come across.
  6. flyerd124

flyerd124 LawnSite Member

Thank you all it has been very helpful.

7. metro1handyman

metro1handyman LawnSite Member

I have an LLC ... But I work alone and use only other subcontractors.. The reason for this is with the LLC I can file as a dba at the end of the year if I didn't use employees. But you could also file as an llc and get extra tax breaks.. You really need to talk to a good accountant and see what he/she thinks. My accountant did a consultation for free and gave advice. I get charged anywhere from $700-$900 to file at tax time, But that is with me handing him a gigantic pile of receipts and him doing everything. You would be amazed @ the amount of stuff you can write off. -- again my advice is to get an accountant. Good Luck.