question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jbturf, Jun 10, 2008.

1. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i qouted a comercial site last spring 07,
    375k, anyway they declined and i found out they
    even cut out the lawn mowing for the remainder
    of the year!--$$

anyway, they call me this year and say they want
    to go ahead and do just my grub proofing treatment

well i qouted them 1700 for this last year-they agreed to
    that price for this year.
    my cost (as well as everyone elses)went way down
    this year for merit.

should i be honest and readjust the price or just enjoy this
    rare occasion

this is a big faceless co--not that it should matter

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Be honest & readjust the price. Also let them know what you did. Good will travels.....you might get referrals too It's the right thing to do, and you won't lose sleep over it..:usflag:

3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Just enjoy the opportunity to make a profit !!

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

if it were a customer with a face I would change it. a faceless company, ummm no, they agreed to the price not knowing what your cost is. They are paying for a service and you are charging. They don't need to know that the cost went down. If their cost went down do you think they are going to come back to you and drop their price? NO!

Plus... my products are currently lower than I had originally made my prices for, a good bit lower, but... I am not lowering my prices just yet. I want to make sure my product will work first. Then I may drop the price A LITTLE to make it more appealing to people. Again, the customer doesn't need to know about your costs. They are paying for a service. They agreed to pay you the price. You lucked out that noone else came with a lower one. Next year your cost may go back up with the feul prices going the way they are and it is a WHOLE LOT harder to raise your prices in the future. Keep the buffer for a rainy day.

5. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

6. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I heard that, if it were regular fert you would be hurting bad with the old price. Keep the money, I plan on taking my added profits and putting it back into the business, pay myself a little more, but make sure my customer service is at its best whether it means bringing on another guy so I can focus on keeping customers happy. That is the key to a successful business if you ask me. Customer service all the way.

7. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I agree, it's nobodys business that your cost went down. Charge what you quoted, nothing to loose sleep over!

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Unless you're losing sleep b/c you feel like you're taking them to the cleaners, I wouldn't adjust.

That's akin to lowering everyone's prices when I get big enough to get a better discount on fertilizer! Makes NO sense at all.

9. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

all good points - thanks for the input

and btw- i did raise all my prices across the board this yr

This estimate request came in last yr after i was already
    booked for the yr- but considering it was in my home town,
    its comercial + irrigated, i can be treated on sundays- i decided
    to do the estimate,
    and threw them some well padded numbers

tlg,
    ive almost completed the flux capacitor for the truck
    it will run on rain water and banana peels

10. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome. When you get it working let me know. Diesel at $4.79 is killing us. I am concerned about the bananas though. Look whats happened to corn and ethanol. What will we put in our cereal? Yes we have no bananas!