1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by magicmike, Feb 8, 2013.

  1. magicmike

    magicmike LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 266

    OK so I am starting this spring (mid march hopefully) I want to provide as many services as I can but in NY and many other states I need a license to apply herbicide and I dont have one, and at this time I am a little to busy to take the class and take the test. If I provide mowing, mulching, sodding, seeding, aeration, leaf removal, fertilizer, etc can I be successful without providing weed/pest control? Maybe I can refer customers to another company? Will that hurt my business? Should I not do fertilizer? And refer my customers to a lawn care (Pest/Weed/Fertilizer company) Or maybe hand weeding with fertilizer?
  2. 205mx

    205mx LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,355

    Find someone who does ONLY fert/squirt.

    Sub out to him.

    Yes you can be successful.
  3. wegomow

    wegomow LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 389

    I pretty sure you'll need a license to apply fertilizer in NY. The same license would be required for both. The fert. and squirt license would really round out your services. Referring those services to another is like giving money away, IMO.
  4. magicmike

    magicmike LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 266

    I think its only herbicide that requires a license but maybe I am wrong. Ill do some more research.
  5. wegomow

    wegomow LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 389

    No, you are correct. Still worth getting it will pay for itself.
  6. dnc19694339

    dnc19694339 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 208

    you can now take the pest course online in NY. Have to take the state exam on site though.

Share This Page