Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tims Snowplowing, May 2, 2004.

1. Tims Snowplowing

Tims Snowplowing LawnSite Member

I have diabetes and can't work.I have been kicking the idea around about starting a small(8-10 lawns) business up.Do you think I could do this kind of work or is it to much for me.My wife worries that I will get to tired and end up in the hospital again.Your thoughts please.

2. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

my wife has type II diabetes. she has to inject insulin 3 times a day, both humalog and humulin, plus check her blood sugars at least 3 times a day. she has been a teacher for 7 years, no problemo. you don't mean you can't work because of the diabetes do you? most people with diabetes live perfectly normal lives.

on the other hand, mowing is not a typical job. the physical requirements and endurance requirements are extraordinary. i think that if you are concerned about your diabetes insofar as work is concerned then there must be thousands of better choices than lawn care. how about painting houses?

3. Tims Snowplowing

Yup sure do mean I can't work,sometimes my legs and arms get so bad I can't walk and have trouble raiseing my arms.I hope with some more meds I can get around better.The idea of the lawn business was for next year.
    All so thought about power washing 1-3 homes a week.Doc says it would be good exercise for me as long as I took long breaks between jobs.I may be going blind too but they have to run some more tests.Think I will take your opinion and skip this idea.At least with the power washing idea I can go at my own speed and set my jobs up when I don't feel tired and hurting.Thank you. :)

4. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you try it on a very small scale?Exercising and being outdoors may be 'just what the Dr. ordered'.Good luck.

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe it would not be so bad if you could use a riding lawn mower, which would be a little easier on your body, and plan out maybe 1-2 yards a day. Then you can pace yourself, but still stay busy, and see how you like it.
    I think the hardest thing is to determine what you can handle, and you are the only one who can do that. Start slow, and see how you like it. Good luck with it!

6. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

Do you have the option of running the business and having a crew to do the physical labor?

7. Tims Snowplowing

DJL,I would be running the business myself.
    I bet I could do 1-2 lawns a day.Riding lawn mower idea would be good too or even a self propeled walk behind.I hate to say this but even if it me longer than it should it still got me out of the house and some excercise.
    You guys are pretty smart,thanks!

8. pimowtime

pimowtime LawnSite Member

Hello,Tim!,

If you can't afford a rider, check your local rental companies!For now, I'm actually renting a rider! It costs me $80 per mo.! It's a Poulan Pro, 18hp,42"! It's pretty sweet, and it gets the job done:) Not really commercial, but prettyclose!! Whatever you do, GOOD LUCK!!

9. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey pimowtime,

that's not a bad deal if you can get equipment for $80 a month!
    I'd rent everything! that's not even the cost of maintenance on some things.
    Great idea if you can get equipment at that price.

10. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Rent?? Heck, if you can rent for a reasonable charge go ahead and give it a try. You will have to give yourself some time to become hardened to the work, but it is not hot yet and the heat is what takes out a good share of out-of-shape folks. When I worked at the National Cemetery people would come out to work for community service hours after a minor conviction. The guys that were overweight couch potatos that lived in air conditioning all the time would last two, three hours max., age didn't matter much but being in shape and taking the heat were.