Questions about Bermuda...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by r8derman, Apr 18, 2010.

1. r8derman

r8derman LawnSite Member

Hey guys we're just North of Atlanta so we are cutting mostly bermuda...and I have a customer who's back yard gets mostly shade and is having a hard time w/ the grass growing...I thought I read a few months back in TURF Magazine about a bermuda grass they have developed that grows good in any of you guys know the name of it??? Would be helpful if you did...thanks.
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Out here Western Sod promotes "Bob Sod" as a more shade tolerant turf but I think its crap, both the claim and the turf. They "developed" it for the indoor/opening roof stadium where the Diamondbacks play originally known as Bank One Ballpark aka Bob.

It is a very aggressive turf growing in full sum and I have not noticed it doing significantly better than any other Bermuda variety in shade. In full sun it quickly piles up on itself developing a very thick thatch layer. I would consider it to be a high maintenance turf.

I didn't see the article you were referring to Bob sod is the only shade suggested Bermuda I have heard of.
  3. tlc23

tlc23 LawnSite Member

4. terric

terric LawnSite Member

TifGrand is the world's first sterile hybrid bermudagrass that thrives in 60-70% shade. It is a dense, dark green turf that requires less water and nutrient (N) inputs than other Bermuda's.
    Developed by Dr Wayne Hanna at UGA, it has been tested for over a decade (NTEP and others) and was just released by UGA in 2009. It should be available in Summer, 2010.
    Full information and a list of growers are available at