Questions about demos....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rott_dobe, Jul 19, 2004.

1. rott_dobe

rott_dobe LawnSite Member

I've begun the demoing phase of looking at ZTR's. One dealer I'm looking at locally carries Scag, Great Dane and Gravely. The other dealer carries Exmark and Hustler.

So far I've demoed the Great Dane and Gravely, and actually vastly preferred the Dane over the Gravely even though most on this forum seem to dislike the Danes. My point though is that this dealership (Dealer A) brought out the mowers (one a week) and left them at my house for a minimum of two days for me to try out. I was able to mow my whole yard and let the wife play around to make sure she felt comfortable.

Now I want to demo the Hulster from "Dealer B". Dealer B only wants to bring the Super Z out and watch me drive around for 15 minutes than take it away.

My question is, which dealer is more similar to yours? Also, I'm really leaning towards the Hustler on paper, but don't know if I like this dealership. The plus side is I already found another dealership about an hour away that will give me a much better price on the unit, but then I will probably end up wanting to get it serviced there also, which means a 2-hour round trip everytime it needs work. How often do these things normally end up needing to go to shops?

I really like Dealer A if I could get his price down, but like I mentioned the Gravely didn't feel good, the Dane doesn't get the best reviews, so all that's left there is the Scag which I know nothing about.

By the way, I'm only using this machine for my personal 2-acre lot if that makes any difference.

Sorry for rambling, but give me your insight on what to do and what you think about the dealers...

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If dealer B treats you like this now, Just think how he would treat you when there is a problem?????

John

3. number1dad

number1dad LawnSite Member

When I demo'd mowers, the dealer was more than happy to let me demo. He ask what day is best for me, filled with gas, had it nice and clean. I some instances, you may not get the deck size you want, but that may not be a big deal. If dealer "b" is not very cooperative, he probably will not be in times of service. Have you checked out John Deere?

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

If it is for your own personal use, I wouldnt worry too much about having to drive 2 hours round trip for repairs. I'm sure they can ship any parts to you that you will need

5. rott_dobe

I agree that Dealer B is not the right dealer to buy from. But I want to demo a Super Z, and he is the only one in town. If I were to purchase a Super Z, I would buy from a place closer to Chicago that has been great on the phone, but they won't bring one this far away for a demo. I can go there and drive one until my heart's content, but I want to try the Z on my one hill.

The question is more of do I (1) pick a brand from Dealer A, even if I like it less than the Hustler, or (2) buy from a dealer 60 miles away and cart it back and forth for maintenance/warranty issues?

Also, if I wanted a Scag (since Dealer A carries Scag) to compare with a Super Z 60" 25HP Kaw, which would I look at?

6. rott_dobe

Thanks for your input Exper Lawns...you replied while I was typing my previous reply.

Also, as far as John Deere's, the local dealership that I would prefer to patronize doesn't carry there ZTR's. I believe they mentioned they were difficult to get, so they just don't mess with them. I don't agree with that attitude, but they are the only ones I've dealt with around here that don't make me feel like I need a shower after talking with them!

7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The Hustler sould give you no problems for the first few years of use so I wouldn't consider it a big problem to buy from a dealer an hour away.
    I would suggest demoing a scag though since you are pleased with dealer A already. The Scag Wildcat is probably more comparable to the Dane and Gravely that you demoed, while a Turf Tiger 61" 27HP Kohler will be more comparable to the Hustler and would be my recommendation.

One big bonus for the hustler is the standard suspension seat and fast ground speed. The Scag (should you demo one) is not as fast and will cost an extra $200 for a suspension seat. It will hold a hill as well as or better than any of the others though and from my experience is easier on the belts and hydros.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Any of the units you are looking at will last a long time in residential use