1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions about Dynamite. (the explosive)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Swampbeast, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I am not sure this is even the correct forum to post this, if its not, it soon will be in the correct one I am sure.

I need some dynamite, the only problem is, I have no idea how to go about getting my hands on some.
    How old do you have to be to buy it?
    Can you even buy it without a special license?
    Where would you go to get it?
    And any other helpful comments would be appreciated.

And I am sure your wondering, "what the heck does he want dynamite for?" so I will tell you! Its going to be used to level a largish hill on some property of mine out in Columbus, Texas. I would just go rent a back hoe or something, but that would cost a lot more than a case of dynamite, and its no where near as satisfying as blowing the hill up.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Think you Need some Type Of Permit Or Something Like That But You can fined alot Of Stuff On EBAY.

Let Me Know How You Do!

3. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Anarchist's cookbook.Just kidding;don't need any goverment offices on me.I was told you have to have a permit in our state and didn't persue it any farther since i knew a construction company who would provide the service similar to what you need;move a really big stone to build a driveway up a mountain.
  4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

even if you use tnt (trinitrotoulene) you still need to use a loader to move the dirt:) :blob2:
  5. Swampbeast

my thinking is not if I blast it out so far it spreads itself out! Besides, I have always wanted to play with some dynamite, so this seems like a good opportunity. Heck, might even invited some friends and family out and have a barbeque while Im at it!:D
    I have always planned on getting a federal license so I could own a machine gun (the really old or really nice ones, I am a beginer gun collector) so getting another federal license/permit is no big deal.
    And if I cant get a dynamite permit, I will just go get a 30 gallon barrel of diesel fuel, apply a 50 foot cannon fuse, dig hole in hill, place barrel in hole, light fuse, RUN LIKE A SCARED CUR DOG!! then hold my ears and watch it rain dirt. Sounds like fun!
  6. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Swampbeast;You been reading the cookbook? LOL
  7. Now this only happens in canada , but it mite be the same in the states, a one of my dad`s friends was blowing up a silo and wanted me to come out for the blast and help with the clean up . so he had to get this special one time use lisence where he could only buy dynamite in a certain time frame (eg july 02-03) so he drove to a place outside of toronto that was licsenced to sell the stuff to people and had to keep it in a locked box untill he used it , it was just a small amount . he used a hammer drill to drill holes in the bottom of the silo, put the stuff in and use construction adheisive to fill the holes. he used an electronic detonator to let it go. it was quite a show it was more like an implosion. it just blew out the bottom and the silo tipped over into the feild. Swampbeast: you mite want to look at ANFO its alot safer and easyer to buy i don`t know what kind of a license you need for it but the use it at the salt mine my dad works at and I know one of the blasters that lives near me and they say its really safe and you don`t need a whole lot.
  8. Swampbeast

HA HAAA! LOL! No, I dont think so....he he he!

ANFO? Whats that, the opposite of a MO'FO? :D ANFO huh? I seem to remember about reading something about that. Does anybody have a site I can go to, or the number to the government office I have to go through, or any general idea of how to go about getting my paws on some exlosives?

9. ANFO is Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil. In its simplist form Deisel Fuel and Ferilizer. do a search on this stuff or find some one near you that does demolitions that could hook you up and tell you what you want to now.
  10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I hope you are going to warn the neighbors about your loud and spectacular explosion. I can just see the 9-1-1 switchboard lighting up like time square and then the whole neighborhood lite up from all the fire apparatus. LOL :dizzy: