Questions about fertilizer and pesticides

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Mar 14, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I was doing some research on this and had some questions. First, in the time Ive been in biz no one has asked me about fertilizer or pesticides. Im getting hit with it every day here this season. New client today wanted all the weeds in his yard gone and the grass nice and healthy. Im ashamed to say that this is my weak point but that is fixing to change quickly. I need to see about getting my license, taking a course or are there any good reading material for this? I hate to be asked a question by a client and cant give an answer I feel good about. I also want to know more about pruning and shrubbery trimming, what is the best time, how to feed etc. My client base over the years has been "we dont care when you do it or how, long as it looks good" Im trying to be much more professional and educated this year. I have graduated from the scrub status!

2. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

call your county extension office. should be under the gov. sections in the phonebook. tell them what you want to do they will point you in the right direction

3. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

You'll need two books to study for the exam in Georgia. Go to the Georgia Department of Agriculture site and the University of Georgia, School of Agriculture site. You'll need "Ornamental and Turf Pest Control" and "Applying Pesticides Correctly". An excellent textbook on turfgrass in general is Fundamental of Turfgrass Management ( about $60-70). Can be purchased from Forestry Supply Inc., et.al.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

Thanks, I have been considering getting my applicator license but I have had so little request for it (until this season) did not mess with getting them.I really wanted to educate myself also whether I started doing it or not just to be in the know.

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Working for another lawn care company is great experience. Consider finding a company out of your area that is not your competitor. He might let you tag along for a day or two.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

I went to county agents office this morning and got info and sent off for my turf and ornmental books. I was told though that I did not have to have a license to put out granular fert. or granular weed and feed like Scotts or anything not restricted. Had to have it though for round-up or any pesticides. Is the test in Georgia real hard? I was told that most dont pass it first time, and I dont plan on driving that far to flunk. Closest to me is 70 miles away to take test.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

BTW, I meant to ask what sections of these books should I really study hard and pay close attention to. Any Georgia LCO who have taken this test any info GREATLY appreciated!

8. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Smith, you may want to double check with them about not needing a license for the things you mentioned. Not saying they lied to you but perhaps getting a second opinion could save you some grief. Otherwise, get it in writing.

9. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

When I took my test I had to drive almost 160 miles to Bakersfield or as we call it "BuckOwensville". They told me it was a hard test and I guess most people don't pass the first time. I showed up after getting food-poisoning and only 15 min. sleep and I missed two questions out of 240. It really depends on what you already know. I've got a Master's in Horticulture and Botany and have been in the landscape or nursery business for the last twenty-five years. As you Yanks say, it was "cake". Do yourself a favour and study just the guides that they give you and any pertinent material described therein. If you go off on a tangent, you may stress yourself out to the point of no return. I've seen that alot. This is a learning experience and none of us knows everything nor will we ever. Socrates was described as the smartest man in Athens by the Oracle at Delphi. And when asked, he stated that," he knew nothing" In other words, the more you learn the more you realize how little you know. Just do the best you can and I'm sure you'll succeed. Good luck or as the Irish say "Go n-eiri an bothar leat". May the road succeed with you.

10. QualityLawnCare4u

I was not real comfortable with that explanation either.