1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions about Fertilizing License...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by esshaki, Dec 27, 2005.

1. esshaki

esshaki LawnSite Member

Recently i picked up a packet on Fertilizing & Pesticides in michigan from the state's local office, and im looking to become a licensed applicator in michigan, id like to get licensed turfgrass pest management, ornamentals, and right of way, getting licensed in those catergories is what the lady at the office said i should do. i could really use some tips on how to approach this the right way. I feel its a service that i should be offering to the clients i have now, i have previous experience fertilizing. If anyone has any useful tips they could share i would appreciate it. I have all the paper work for this whole licensing process. Thanks,
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

In order to get a business certified in Michigan, you'll have to show two years of experience (or equivalent) in pesticide application. This is something that cannot just be jumped into, even if you pass the testing. You'll also need pesticide insurance which is expensive. On a positive note, 3a (turf), 3b (ornamentals), and 6 (right of way) are now available as a combined test. More info at: www.michigan.gov/mda.