Questions about follow ups with proposals

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CHoniglandscapes, Feb 15, 2008.

1. CHoniglandscapes

CHoniglandscapes LawnSite Member

Last season my best friend decided to close down shop.. He had about 140 weekly customers, I made a deal with him that I would help him sell all of his equipment in exchange for his customer list including names, addresses, phone numbers and prices. In July I called all 140 people unfortunately by the time I got the list most people were 3 weeks without service. I was able to close about 20 or so accounts. There were another 50 or so that asked me to send an estimate with my info over the winter for the 08 season. I did that about 2 weeks ago, I have received about 3 accounts so far out of 47 that I sent out. The area is a very predominant wealthy area of North Jersey, my question is, should I follow up to these people with a phone call?? I know its a little early but there is so much competition in this area and do not want to risk other LCO's sending out their contracts before I speak to homeowner. I also spoke with my friend and went over the list with him to discuss which customers were good payers etc.... Let me know what you gent's think..

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I would say definitely give them a follow-up call. It couldn't hurt as you should get at least a few more accounts. People seem to forget to reply to the lawn guy.

3. CHoniglandscapes

Yea, I agree, right now I have about 45 weekly act's. I am trying to bump up to around 55-60.. I think this should do it. I have never advertised, never had to, I am 30years old owner op, do nice work and look prof. I seem to do ok with word of mouth, but i couldnt pass this chance up.. I will start calling some of these people today...

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Good Luck!

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you bet ya

6. CHoniglandscapes

ok, well I called a bunch of people today, some of them had bad exp. with my friend who at the end of his demise was un reliable.. so.. but as I was calling people and getting turned down, 2 more people that I sent proposals out to and did not call yet called and hired me, so, so far in a week I sent out 47 proposals and had 4 contracts returned, and gave 2 of them estimates today on landscape jobs around $4k (top soil/sod/seed)!!

7. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a pretty good day !