1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions about grass seed for my yard?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by eddings, Apr 18, 2007.

1. eddings

eddings LawnSite Member

I saw at walmart that there is a Kentucky bluegrass that has rhyzomes and is made for the sun and partial shade.

I was trying to decide whether to use it or go back with bermuda grass. Bermuda holds up really well in the hot summers in Oklahoma, but I was wondering how this bluegrass would hold up. Does it spread like bermuda will or will I have to overseed every year?
  2. eddings

eddings LawnSite Member

Anybody have a clue on this one.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about the Oklahoma climate.

My guess is that if you have Bermuda, it's probably too hot and dry for bluegrass.
    Generally it is not real heat or drought tolerant.
    Not unless there is some new hybrid variety I've missed because I don't 'follow' bluegrass.

Anyways, even if it was the case, such seed would not be found at walmart.

I would have to look at the NTEP website to make a recommendation for your area.

I'm not much on Bermuda myself, and if you have a shady lawn it will always struggle. If your area is cool enough, you might be able to use a fescue and mix in blue... and there is also that RTF fescue that might be an option too. I want to try that myself.
  4. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

With you on that envy, if bermuda does good, i doubt the blue will do good. More than likely, the bermuda will compete with the blue and fescue. Maybe try a lawn renovation this fall and really put some seed down. (6-8lbs per k)
    You might be able to get that bermuda to quit runnin on ya. It's a long road though.