Questions about IMAGE and GARLIC

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by matthew horner, Mar 5, 2007.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Got a cold call this morning. 3 acres of garlic-infested centipede. They want it sprayed.

I've sprayed smaller lawns, but nothing this size.

I've heard image is good for this? Any thoughts? Also, what do people charge for this amount of spraying? I've got a 20 gallon sprayer (like what you'd mount on a 4 wheeler or golf cart). I also have my pest. appl. license for NC>
    Thanks,
    Matthew

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Matthew

You might want to add some tracker Dye or food coloring on a job that big.

I am not sure what you need to charge but with a 20 gallon tank if you spray 1 gallon per thousand, you will need to tank up 7 times. That can take a lot of time and you might be a tired puppy by the end of the day.

A guy with a ride on Boom sprayer could do the job in a few hours at most, where as you might take 8 hours doing it by hand. You may not be in the ball park with your equipment. But then if you are slow this time of year a little money per hour is better than no money per hour.

3. matthew horner

thats what I was thinking. I think I can do it in about 4 hours. Its not COMPLETELY covered with Garlic.

I'd like to get the job, but I want to make a profit.
    M

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Matthew

CYA, Figure Chemical costs as a Blanket spray including the Tracking dye. Add another 10% to that for total Chemical cost. Then take your hourly rate times the 4 hours you think it will take. Be safe and make it 5 hours. Better to lose the bid up front than to lose money on a Job.

5. matthew horner

Thanks. Problem is, I've never used Image. I have a bottle, its in pellet form. I also have some tracking dye. I need to go out and read the label. I want to get a balpark so I can get the HO a price. He's called a couple of times. He lives just down the road from my office.

I doubt one bottle of image will do it. I think I can spray out 20 galons in about 20-25 minutes.
    M

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Matthew

Not doubt you can empty a 20 gallon tank in 25 minutes. However you must account for the time to fill, add chemicals and then Mix that tank. BTW don't forget the travel time it takes you from the field to your refill point and back to where you left off in the field. Better figure an hour per tank load just to be safe. BTW Sometimes spot spraying can take longer than Blanket spraying. You spend more time Looking.

7. matthew horner

Ric, those are excellent points. Thank you for the insight.

Matthew

8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I've never dealt with, treated or even seen centipede, so my comment may be totally inappropriate. But I use Image a lot; it is a very effective and versatille product for southern turf grasses.

Avoid using Image during the transition period. Does centipede go dormant?

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes indeed Centipede goes dormant.

Speedzone Southern is another good option for Onions/Garlic on Centipede.

Have not used it, but Manor is said to be excellent as well.