Questions about Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rlowande, Feb 12, 2004.

1. rlowande

rlowande LawnSite Member

Questions about Insurance
    Hello I am vary GREEN just starting in this type of work I will be mowing, light lanscaping & some tree removle. What do I need in the line of insurance I know I need liabilily, vehicle & equipment Insc. but what else do I need> Do I need workmans comp or is that just for my benifit. I had a customer ask me what I had in case I got hurt on thier property so thay don't get sued. Any input on this stuff would be appresiated. It is time to start advertising and I would like to show insurance to promote business + I need to be covered Rick

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Rick,
    Welcome to Lawnsite.
    Where in Illinois are you located if you don't mind me asking?

As far as insurance, I's plan on the worst, and hope for the best. Lots of commercial expect 1 mil/2 mil coverage. Check around for rates, if you're small like me, you can get a fairly cheap rate for the year.

Good luck with the business, and get ready on that advertising, the green is almost here!

4. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

We are a partnership with no employees so we don't need workmans comp. My agent said if we had it, it would be around $6,000 a year. So we just make it a point note to get hurt. My liability ins. with pesticide coverage is $540 a year. That is for a $1,000,000 policy. If you are going to apply pesticdes you need to be licensed. This also includes if you just spray round up on weeds in the sidewalk. Here in WI we don't need a license to apply fertilizer but all states are different so do your homework.

Also when checking on insurance uses an independant agent that works with several insures. The big companies like American Family and Allstate do not insure lawn care companies.