1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions about moles

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Gator-1, May 15, 2007.

1. Gator-1

Gator-1 LawnSite Member

I have a residential yard that is crawling with mole tunnels. You can't walk the backyard w/o sinking into one of these. Is there something I can recommend to the customer to apply or would it be best to have crittergitter spray the yard?
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Talprid without a doubt! Expensive but it works. Handle with latex gloves.
  3. Jonathanmb1974

Jonathanmb1974 LawnSite Member

Get rid of the grubs, and then the moles will leave
  4. drelgan

drelgan LawnSite Member

Getting rid of the grubs won't cause moles to leave. Earthworms and grubs are at the top of thier food list, but also have other insects that they eat. I trap moles for people and have many lawns that have been sprayed for grubs and they still have moles.
  5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure they are moles and not voles. Florida's sandy soil is prime hunting ground for voles. Moles eat earthworm, grubs and other insects & voles eat plant material.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Getting rid of grubs is an old wives tale. Primary food source is earth worms. That's why they made Talpirid look like worms. Follow the directions to the letter, and the moles will die.