1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions about Moving Equipment across the country

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SouthernYankee, Dec 13, 2005.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I have a problem and I need some help.

I need to find a company to haul my Bobcat and 1 ton dumptruck from Ma to Houston , TX. Has anyone out there moved equipment that far and if so what company did you use. Also how much will it run.

I was given a quote of 6k , but I think that is way off.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

good luck it cost big bucks to move stuff just in fuel and tolls

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I drive my '74 3500 chevy dump truck pulling a trailer with all the stuff I could carry across country, 2400 miles from Chicago to San Diego. I flew back a few months later to close my house, sale of business, then get the other truck and tailer. I made San Diego the second time in 34 hours, drove straight through. It was the last all nighter i ever pulled, i figured if snow plowing would keep me up 54 hours one time, this would be easy.

The 3500 with a sizzlin 292 six and draggin slicks pulling the trailer burned 350 gallons of fuel one way. Still cheaper than a transport. I'll make you a deal. I have an F-450 dump, never seen salt or winter I'm sellng. Sell your truck and I'll drive this one for you to take deliver of. It would probably like living in Texas after doing moutain duty in California all it's life.
  4. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

It will take a whole or most of a flat deck trailer to move, so it will be pretty expensive.....call Emerson trucking in NH...they move from the Mass area to Texas quite a bit when we last used them....dont remember what part of NH i think it was eastern NH....he was a good guy and was reasonable
  5. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

what do you think it should run?

3500 chevy dump

751 bobcat

GMUGNIER LawnSite Member

Try to find some trucking companies in the area that you are moving to and contact them - then find out which ones are making deliveries in your area - you generally will find very resonable trucking prices on a back haul than a dedicated haul as they have to go back any way - I am in the big rig business myself so I know a little about what goes on with the moving and hauling business - If I can be of further assistance let me know -

7. chopper2

chopper2 LawnSite Member

Probally no more than $3500 I am in the trucking buisness also here is my thought, from boston to houston= roughly 1900 miles x 1.75 per loaded mile
    1900x1.75= 3325, I know things in the northeast are more expensive but i think you can do better than 6000 hope this helps
  8. chopper2

chopper2 LawnSite Member

where in ma is the equipment located, i might be able to put you in touch with a few people if i know where the stuff is. let me know i will help as much as possible
  9. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

You might check out this website: www.uship.com
    We've used this in the past.
  10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Put the Bobcat in the box of the truck and start driving :laugh:

The bobcat is the easiest thing to haul as it can be put in a dry van so if there is a LTL carrier heading your direction load the skid steer into a van (trailer). The truck is another story its too wide to fit in a van trailer you would have to drive that back and I don't imagine you want to rack up the miles.

Have you looked in the price to rent a U-haul truck with a trailer put the bobcat in the box and put the truck on a trailer and hit the road.

Another option is try find a Hotshot company that is running west and needs a back haul.

Good Luck