1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions about my own lawn...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott015, Jun 6, 2001.

1. scott015

scott015 LawnSite Member

well first I wanted to say thanks to all you guys who pushed me in the right direction on starting my own business. Anyway, I wanted to get a few pointers on my own lawn, and figured you guys are the best to ask. Anyway, I have bermuda grass. It is about 90% thick....most of the yard looks real good...but there are a few patches of crabgrass and one spot where there is some other type of grass growing in....I dont know the name but it is kinda long, but thin blades.... I put down some Scotts Fert. in early spring that had crabgrass halter in it...but that didnt do a thing...I am about ready for my early summer fert. And want to know whats the best I can use? Is there a 'real' crabgrass killer? I only find preventer.... And how much should I water bermuda? I usually do it for 2 days a week at about 45mins...is that enough? My yard looks green and thick...but not real dark green like I want....also, I have a 6.75HP 21" Craftsman push mower....how do I get it to strip? I mow in diagnal lines and switch directions...but dont get a 2color affect....thanks guys
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Bermuda grass isn't going to stripe like the other cool season grasses. If you want it to be dark green then you need to add some nitrogen. Try putting 34-0-0 on it and water it in good.
  3. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Try the Texas A&M horticultural web site “plant answer machine” http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tamuhort.html has factual info and answers to a wide range of lawn and landscape questions. Also Texas superstars web site for plants that do well in the state www.texassuperstar.com.

Fertilizer= 4 times per year March, May, June, September with a slow release nitrogen sulfur coated urea (scu) 27-3-10 Lesco.

Organic fertilizer= apply Green Sense in between Lesco four times per year to maintain soil structure/ moisture holding ability.

Aerate twice per season, first of May= aerate, fertilize 27-3-10 and organic, water. September/October aerate, overseed, fertilize and water.

Water= run longer and less frequent this is what most people will tell you but it is determined by site conditions (windy, hard soil, full sun, hill, time of year). During the growing season 3 maybe 4 days a week 30-40 per station or area, most of the time 3 is enough.

Green, green grass of home= liquid fertilizer with Iron or Ironite (not to much)

Weed control= www.weedalert.com on the web, most people would say MSMA, I am not a chemical guy so do not take as fact.

You are in Arlington and the Lesco store is close (2215 Forum Drive) close to the Mall, they will be glad to help you.

What I am telling you may be all wrong for most people but it has worked for us.
  4. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Put down preems in late fall and two in spring (one early, one late spring) When the bermuda begins to green up in March, scalp it down to 1" and bag all the clippings. after that, mow at 1.5 inches weekly. Aerate in Aril or May. do not put down seed in most cases with bermuda. There is a big difference in commonbermuda and hybrid bermuda. The bare areas. Are they getting full sun all day? If not, you may want to extend beds, because bermuda needs a bunch of sun. Good Luck