questions about navigator

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jsf343, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for info from anyone owning a navigator. specifically......

1. how does this mower handle the lush wet grass of spring and fall? does the deck stay fairly clean, does it still bag well?

2. how does this mower handle hills?

3. any drawbacks you would be willing to share?

4. how easy is it too switch to mulching? and how fine is the cut when mulching?

thank you,

Jeff

2. jsf343

Wow, nobody has any expierence with one of these?! maybe I am looking at the wrong machine.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

-----Original Message-----
    From: LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum [mailto:lawnsite@comcast.net]
    Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2006 7:34 PM
    To: Sales
    Subject: Possible Spam?? New Post/Thread Notification: eXmark

Hello,

tallimeca has just posted in the eXmark forum of LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum under the title of Looking for info on the Navigator.

This thread is located at http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=136952

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    I know this is an old post, but I wanted to drop some input.

Up here in the North East, the Walkers are GOD. It's all guys will use . And because new guys see everyone using Walkers, they believe that's all they should buy. Walker makes a great machine, but not without it's flaws, like anything else.

The Navigators are really starting to catch on. We actually sold a couple more this weekend.

My customers who are Walker users who have demoed the machines reported back that they cut better, especially in the thicker and wetter grass. Didn't seems to be any better/worse as far as clogging in the wet grass. They also said it seemed to cut up the grass finer and load the bagger more completely. They also love the swing out gas tank to access the motor for service and cleaning out the machine.

I think the advantage would be the Navigators design that drives the deck and blower unit, the way the grass enters the blower compared to walker, the deeper deck on the Navigator, and the high blade tip speed.

The Navigators also come standard with the Superior Gear Boxes, which are so far superior, no pun intended, then the Peerless boxes walker uses. Not sure if Walker still offers the Van Ruden boxes, but they should just make them standard equipment.

A couple guys that bought the Navigators in the fall before cleanups said they had 0 clogging issues like they did with their walkers. Granted, these are brand spanking new and their walkers had some serious hours on them.

Guys really seem to light the motor and exhaust arrangement (inside the frame), and the 1 piece welded frame.

The only concerns I get are on the location of the battery on the Naviagator. Seems to be exposed a little. Probably better off then over heating under the seat. Can't be any worse then the oil filter and fuel filters on the EFI's that are exposed for impact.

Guys also like that they are paying shop labor rate to have to removed the motor to change or service the starter, like on the Walkers using the Kohlers.

As far as the diesel option go, I know Exmark has no immediate plans. All I can say is there is a HUGE landscaper near our dealer that runs approx 10 walkers. He went to all diesels a couple years ago and has gone back to gas. He said the extra cash he spent from damage from overheating because of the wiring issues and fans not turning on, just wasn't worth it. That and the torque from the diesels were eating his gearboxes apart.

4. jsf343

thank you, that is a start. Did these machines just come out recently?

5. jsf343

Thought of another question, Does the navigator have any options to soften the ride? I have lower back issues from time to time and it would be good to know. Options in seats maybe?

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

This is the start of the third year for manufacturing the Navigator. There is no seat option for the Navigator, but demo one, I really think the seat will fit your needs.
    http://exmark.com/navigator.htm

Thanks,
    Brian