Questions about new sod

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by johnthe3rd, Apr 24, 2004.

1. johnthe3rd

johnthe3rd LawnSite Member

Hi all,
    Just bought a new home in San Antonio and the builder installed St. Augustine sod. I had to slow the contractor down and ask them to offset the sod so that it didn't look like a checker board . . . this should have raised a flag for me to watch them a little closer...before Iknew it they were packed up and gone. Didn't roll the sod or even step on it to pack it down. At any rate, along the seams, it is sort of yellowing, not dead, but a lighter shade of green leaning towards a yellowish. ANY advice? Should I spread some kind of dirt over the top? If so, what kind specifically should I ask for?

John :help:
  2. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Water...and plenty of it...
  3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

You probably won't get a contractor to offset the sod. There really is no need to. The seams will disappear in about 2 weeks.
    Water 2-3 times a day for about 2 weeks and the seams will form together. Rolling the sod is also not necessary. It can actually do more damage than good.
  4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Well... I always offset sod because it doesn't require that much more work to do so, and I also generally roll it. Neither one is necessary, but at least from the realms that I've been in these procedures have been advised. If the sod pieces are not butted up to eachother well, the ends or sides can dry out quickly, hence the need to water often.

And... I have sprinkled compost into these gaps, but I'd also think twice before walking out onto the wet sod to do any repairs. If you have to, you better strap on a pair of snow shoes - if they even have those in San Antonio...