Questions about new sprayer

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Keegan, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I was playing around with a new 100gl. Lesco sprayer I bought that I will use ICT's products with.

I was spraying at no more than 100 psi. Is that good?
    It took me abvout 2:25 to spray 1000 sq'. Normal?
    About how many gallons should 15gls. cover?

Thank you for all of your help.

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on what your spraying and what the lawn is like. Skilled guys can get away with 1gal per thousand for weed killers and pre emergents. Ferts and other things are probably better at 2 gal per 1000. I'm not sure what my lesco's psi is, but the lever with the spring under it is in the 3rd (out of 4) position (vertically lower). On the pressure gauge..I set it while its running to the second bar (I think) it may be the third. If your spraying small tight areas..you might be on a decent setting. If you are spraying larger areas, shoot for 1 gal per 100 per minute (as you get better)

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Barry tells me that he just uses a ball valve at the end of the hose and literally hoses down the site. The last 2 customers get whatever is left in the tank that day so he can go home empty

another CT applicator tells me he prefers to walk like a gentleman through the property, not too fast not too slow, he also uses a hose with no gun on the end

some folks out west like to apply 6 to 8 gallons of water per 1000

I think the point is "whatever works"

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

My tools of choice. ;)

[​IMG]

5. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

My guess is that if you are applying ICT or other microbes in a bottle you need not be concerned with the pump velocity or PSI or recirculation as the microbes are not in a state where much can hurt them. [there likely is no hyphae and no protozoa]

6. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Isn't it like "the more water is better"? Of course there is a limit to that statement, but water is the biology's best transport to the roots of the grass plus obviously water is good for the plant.

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

There are typically dormant or in spore form, you are correct

I love Tonka toys

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member