Questions about oil.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by LWG, Feb 5, 2011.

1. LWG

LWG LawnSite Member

I am wondering what sort of hydraulic oils are being used for Bobcats? I have heard that motor oil works, that generic hydraulic oil works, and that Bobcat brand oil must be used because of special additives. I would appreciate member comments.

I am also interested in recommendations for motor oil. I have a T-200 with the Deutz diesel.

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Bobcat recommends their oils due to the higher zinc content used as an additive, last time I tried to rent a sweeper for my Takeuchi I got the lecture on the differences, so our dealer will NOT rent out Bobcat hydraulic attachments to anyone who doesn't own a Bobcat skid steer, seems almost cruel, but they have had too many problems with contamination.

3. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

It's little pricey, but I always use the BC All-Season hydraulic fluid. A 2.5 gal. usually lasts me years between 2 machines.

As for engine oil, just Rotella 15W-40.

4. ccstrebe

ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member

I went to the Cat dealer this week to get a gal of hydro fluid for my 297C and the guy behind the counter gives me a gal. of Cat motor oil and I said, no, I need hydro fluid, and he says for our area (southwest desert) my unit uses the same oil for the engine and the hydro circut. Learn something new every day.

5. LWG

LWG LawnSite Member

I've read the same thing- people use 15w - 40 engine oil as hydraulic oil. I would be reluctant to do it unless I read it in a manufacturer's recommendations, though, It just doesn't sound right.