1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions about older Toro WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Bought an older (guessing at least 5 years old) Toro Proline 32" today (won't bring it home until monday, so I don't know the exact model #). Anyhow it is belt driven. For identification purposes, the style is not exactly like the new ones today, but pretty similar. The main difference is that the front casters are not pneumatic (hopefully that will give some of you a cue as to whattype of info I'm looking for). I don't know much about Toro mowers, but I think it is a T-bar (where you push forward on the side of the control that you want to move forward, etc.).

Approx. what year would you say it is?
    Does it sound like the T-bar I've heard about here (seems easy enuff to operate)?
    How nice of a cut will it give? Since it is a "Proline" Toro, I'd assume the blade tip speed would be comparable to today's commercial mowers, right? Surely it will be better than any homeowner mower, at least. Also, it has a mulch kit, which I run on all my mowers too, so that is a plus.

Anyhow, what can you guys (especially you Toro operators) tell me about things to be careful of (maintenance tips, operation, etc.). I will contact Toro on Monday to get an owner's manual. BTW, it has a 12.5 Kohler.

Seems to run good. Will definately get a new blade, new belts, and a tune-up. Maybe even some fresh paint. Got a good deal on it and am just trying to replace the dreadful 21". Hopefully I can get a few seasons out of it at least. I have a new ZTR which is my bread and butter, so this will be for small residential / backup / trim mower.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Is this the single blade floating deck Recycler 32" or the or twin blade fixed 32"?

I have run both extensively & prefer the twin blade.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Mine is about 8 years old. It was a primary mower for the people i bought it from for about a year and a back yard mower sincethen for me. It should do a good job for you, definatly better than any homewoner stuff. One hint, there is a bolt that goes under the mower right in back of the engine. It is for a idler pulley for the drive belt. The best way to adjust it is to tighten the bolt so its kind of tight, and take a socket extention or something like it, and a hammer, and pound the bolt to get it to move. Then tighten the bolt all the way, this will get the drive belt as tight as possible. You will definatly notice a difference if it was loose. They are pretty good mowers, mine has been beaten and abused for a long time, and it still works good.
  4. Pecker

Fareway, it is a single blade (and I think the deck is fixed). Also, why do you prefer the twin blade?

Lawnman, thanks for the head's up, I'll take a look at that first thing. Also, you siad yours is about 8 years old. . .does it fit the description of mine (non-pneumatic front casters, appears kind of lengthy from front to back too, although this may be an illusion of the narrow deck)

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Single blade???.......32 inch??? Does this mean one spindle with a 32 inch blade???? Or are you saying doubles aren't being used, and it has 2 16 inch single blades??
  6. topher924

topher924 LawnSite Member

7. Pecker

Lawns and Mower, it is a 32", single blade Toro Proline.

Topher, I take it that you like yours?
  8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Are you sure it's a fixed deck?
  9. Pecker

No, I'm not sure that it has a fixed deck. But I do know it is belt driven.

BTW, Anybody have an idea of the approximate year? Thanks again.
  10. Pecker

Also, the deck is more of a round shape (not squared off).