questions about other services besides mowing.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sedlmeier101, Feb 22, 2007.

1. sedlmeier101

sedlmeier101 LawnSite Member

So as some of you may know, I am starting up my own lawn service biz this spring. I am only going to start with the basics..mowing,triming and cleanup.
    On my flyer I am going to state: other services avalible upon demand.
    For instance..getting rid of junk (fallen down tree,branchs ect.)
    spreading mulch and so on.

One thing I am not going to do is hedge work. I don't think I am experianced enough with hedging yet. I am going to practice more this summer and get really good at it before I offer it as a service.
    My only worry is that if I don't offer this may I lose customers that want this done?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If your customers like the work you do and you don't want to do there shrubs because of experience let them know that. I take care of several places around here for a guy who does lawn care but doesn't do shrubs and it works fine he mows and when its time to do shrubs the customer calls me. I have been doing this for several years with this guy and we get along good. He just tells me that he just isn't good at trimming shrubs and has shoulder problems and has his customers call me. The more lawns he picks up the more work he gives me. I would suggest that you recomend someone that you know does good work to your customer so they don't have to find someone.

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Don't worry about it, advertise what you offer and go for it. I have had people ask me to assemble gas grills, paint, do carpentry, move furniture, you name it. In the beginning, if I needed that cash, I did it.

You can always tell the customer that you don't have much experience with hedges, but that you will give it a try if they are comfortable with your abilities. Charge accordingly.

4. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

don't worry about your experince in shrub trimming. its not hard just take your time and go slow taking of little by little following the natural shape of the bush, its hard to screw a bush up to bad (unless very fisrt time lol) you'll pick up speed with a little time besides the only way to get better is to get out there and do it. SO IF I WE'RE YOU I WOULD GO AHEAD AND OFFER IT, but thats just me