Questions about running doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CNE, Apr 4, 2004.

1. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

OK, I have read about you guys running doubles and meg mo's. First question, when you are running doubles, you just stack the blades right? Doesn't that require you to raise the deck since the bottom blade is now lower than it would normally be or is it not enough difference to matter? I have an Exmark Lazer 60 with the 23 Kohler. Is this enough HP to turn doubles and what blades should I use? Stock Exmarks? I also have a 48" Gravely WB with a 15 HP Kawasaki. Will it turn them also? Thanks.
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I took one washer out from the bottom and put it on top. I use gator magnums over high lifts. It works best for my machine. You need to try them all to find what works best for your machine. I have a 15hp on my 36" and it is more than powerful enough. thick, wet grass I have to slow a little but not much.
  3. steinerboy

steinerboy LawnSite Member

why do you stack blade or as you call it doubles what does it change in the way it cut.:confused:
  4. lilred731

lilred731 LawnSite Member

Doubles cut the grass clippings even finer than without.
  5. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Doubles creates finer clippings, better vacume, and better clipping distribution. At least in my case.
  6. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget better stripes!

7. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I just got my super surfer a few weeks back, and have been running the blades that came on it. I have some gators on the way; I'll need the mulching block off plate instead of the discharge chute when I run them together for the best cut, right??
  8. topher924

topher924 LawnSite Member

Do doubles compromise engine power?
  9. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. With only a 23 hp engine on a 60" deck, I would be worried about power consumption.
  10. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Wrong. 23hp is more than enough to run doubles. Do a search, guys, you will find pleanty more on the subject.