Questions about small side business!?!?!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by berends, Mar 13, 2014.

1. berends

berends LawnSite Member

Hey Lads,

I am from Ontario, Canada :canadaflag: and am thinking of starting a small lawn care business for some extra 'wedding' money. I am a landscape construction foreperson with a Hort Degree. I plan on mowing a handful of lawns and focus on hedge trimming and garden enhancements.
    Just wondering if it would be in my best interests to obtain a business license/insurance? I am worried people will want to pay by cheque, not cash, and the tax man will come after me.
    Also, any advice on cheap advertising?

Thx,

2. offdutylawnanlandscaping

offdutylawnanlandscaping LawnSite Member

Im not sure what your laws are like up there but from where I am, it can be considered a "Hobby Business" if you keep it under a certain income. and if youre mowing only a handful of yards to me it seems like you wont need a license or nothing. even with the mulching and what not. and when it comes to payment just have them write the check to your personal name not your "businesses" name. and for the advertising, craigslist has actually been a much more positive form of cheap advertising for me

3. TheBetterDoorhanger

TheBetterDoorhanger Sponsor

Most of our Lawnsite customers have found our door hanger special for $79 very helpful. You get 1,000 of our full color Band-It door hangers that stay on the door like they are supposed to, full color, 4.24 x 11 and you can utilize our online designer. If you need help with a design, for $20 more, our graphic designer will create a professional door hanger design for you. If you want more information, request free samples at www.adeasprinting.com/free-samples or go to www.adeasprinting.com/door-hangers and see if there are any other options that may interest you. Hope this helps a bit - Thanks!! Glenda Smith - Adeas Printing Glenda@adeasprinting.com (866) 778-4254

4. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

If licensing and insurance are required, then you should get licensed and insured.