1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions about starting a LCO?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Smith Lawn & Landscaping, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, guys im new to the site but not new to the lawn industry ive worked for serveral major companies around my area so i have lots of experience. Im also currently a registered Technician at Lawn Doctor. Any way ive been cutting for awhile and have decided to go legit.. My question to u is what all applies to that? I know somethings but not all. Here is what ive done so far

1.Business License
    2. Contacted insurance agent about insurance.
    3.Checked with local laws about some services im offering.From what they said and my boss said is that u dont have to have a license in Va to spread fert. but u have to get a commercial pesticide license to spray herbicides like MSMA,mancozebe, etc. etc.
    4. And my question which may be stupid is what is a CPA? and what are they used for? any help would be appreciated. thanks
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A cpa is an accountant, mostly used for taxes, at least in our case.
  3. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks topsite but looking at my thread am i in the right direction?
  4. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you are going in the right direction. Now you have too do research on how to market and make yourself different from the other contractors in the area.