1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions about your business...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by sheppard&sons, Feb 28, 2008.

1. sheppard&sons

sheppard&sons LawnSite Member

Guys I am new to this forum and have looked through seems like thousands of post and have never seen this but again I am new but here goes anyway.

How big of a radius in miles do you cover? I mean I am sure if it paid enuff and was worth while we would all travel far but on average what is your coverage area?

Also anyone do like 90 days same as cash or no payments no interest for a year like furniture stores do? I know you would have to use some sort of finance company to make that happen but I think for alot of folks that would be somthing they would use to add a water feature or new retaining wall or just whatever if they knew they could have a year interest free to pay for it or like some who are like us and have mostly seasonal work and could pay for in in 3 months etc.

Thanks in advance for your posts!
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I wondered how someone would go about getting a financing program like that. I see it being a hassle really, but maybe try going to your local banks and ask around. I would imagine the fees would make it not worth your while. You can offer a payment plan... require enough to cover material costs and some of your labor. then take the balance and break it up over 90 days or whatever.
  3. sheppard&sons

sheppard&sons LawnSite Member

I really figure that there are alot of hidden costs and I am sure it would take away from your net profit but a business hooked up to do that could add an extra fee if your the only ballgame in town offering financing plus I am sure that they would add or change the initial project and you could get more there too I am just throwing ideas around though.
  4. Raven386

from CT

its def. somethign that would be great to have, especially for bigger projects. i am going to start accepting c.c's this year. hopefully that will cut down on late-payers too!
  5. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Average = 5 miles

Farthest = 20 miles
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

About the same here. I go 20 miles north to do a Wal-Mart Supercenter with another larger strip mall, then some accounts on the way back, all in a day.

Another day, I go 20 miles south, to do a bank, and then 5 miles back another bank and house, and then spend the rest of the day in a 4 block area about 5 miles from these places.

Everything else is within 10 miles from my house.
  7. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do about a ten mile radius. :walking:
  8. Raven386

from CT

I have no idea. I go out to milford which is like 10 -15 minutes away, but we get to drive by the beach so its not so bad, and then while we are out there we get lunch. so it works out good. its my uncles lawn so i had to do it.
  9. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Raven, who did you go with for the credit cards?
  10. Raven386

from CT

I got a line of credit through bank of america.