questions--enclosed trailer and lawn applications

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Jun 21, 2008.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

it's getting to the point to where i need to secure my application equipment better besides freeing up space in my barn. i was thinking about a enclosed trailer which would be ideal for me.
    right now i have a 96 ford psd with a cap that i use to store and haul my fert. and supply's. it tows a open landscape trailer with my z spray. there is a good chance that the psd will be replaced with my 03 f-150 6cy. pick up.
    with the height of the psd, its getting to the point that its hard for me to keep pulling the fert. out of the p/u bed.
    what you guys using that works for you? --------------

what would you have done different?
    what brand enclosed trailer?
    how many bags can you store in the trailer?
    i see some have a extend-a-toung?

2. Rlclawnguy

Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member

We went to an enclosed trailer last year. We have a 16' American Hauler with a v-nose and I believe a landscape package. We did need to buy a new one this year because we tried to save a little money and get the 3500 tandem axles, but it was getting to the point where we had to carry more than 4500lbs a day. So we now have the same trailer with 7,000lb tandem axles that carries 10,000lb load. We also have a second ramp on the v-nose. We love it! We carry a Z-max, 2 pgs., 125 gal of water and up to two pallets of fert, plus any chemicals, back packs and blowers we need at any given time. The one thing we don't have set yet is the lettering on the new one. We got it just 3 weeks ago and of course time has been something we don't have to much of.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Ant

Tremor Recommended enclosed trailers here on LS 6 or 7 years ago. The days of the Large tanker truck are numbered by the Tree Huggers. I use an enclosed Cab Over and being Rained out all morning long today, My stuff is high and dry waiting for the rain to stop.

BTW a little off subject but. The other day I saw a competitors open trailer pulled by a HUMMER. 200 gallon space saver with a 425 gallon nurse tank all on a 14 ft open trailer. A 2 inch gasoline pump was used to transfer from the nurse tank. I was a little more amazed than impressed.

4. tmorrical

tmorrical LawnSite Member

Ant
    I bought an enclosed 14' trailer this year and I love it. Great to have everything you need in it, just hook up and go. My only suggestion would be watch the width, I have a 200 gal. Lesco tank in the front for a nurse tank and for spraying small gate fenced properties. With this set up the Z spray max goes in the back of course. When I stacked fert. along the sides of the trailer the Z spray would rub though the bags as I loaded and unloaded it. I solved this problem by building plywood rub walls 2' high between fert. bags and z spray. No more rub no more holes.

5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 16x8 enclosed Pace Summit trailer. Several options are important to consider:
    1. 60" side doors so a Hilo can load a pallet in the side.
    2. 5200 lb axle upgrade, because the 3200 pounders would be taxed at full load.

I also used E-track on the floor. I have 2x6 holders that fit in the system so I have a 2x8 secured in the E track going across the front wheels of the Z-spray. I have ring holders in place with ratcheting straps that attach to eye bolts at the top to secure to board. The back of the Z rests up against the ramp door.

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Not really sure how much you go though in a day,but why carry more then you need? There is a guy around here who pulls a little enclosed trail for his perma and enough product for the day. Your better maybe to get a storage shed to put your supplies in it.

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 16ft Interstate Enclosed that I use for fert. We took out the original side door and replaced it with a larger one so we can load a full pallet of fertilizer with the forklift. The Permagreen, walk-behind spreader and weed control products go behind it. I have a nurse tank in the bed of my truck (gravity fill)

8. Rlclawnguy

Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member

I know my crew will go through more than a pallet in a day. I use a 2-3 man crew and want to make sure they have enough to get everything done in the day. You never know what is going come up during the day.

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ant youll love an enclosed trailer

10. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have pics you can post?? Sounds like a nice setup.