Questions following demo

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by accuratelawn, May 22, 2004.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had the pleasure for using a Super Z 60" 27 LC Kawasaki. The machine was in my service for three days on various properties.

I liked alot about the mower, but one characteristic that concerned me was the light front end.
    The mower seemed to porpoised when mowing at speed. (not a full 15mph) The light front end was very noticeable when going up steep inclines. Front wheels became very light and at times left the ground.

I mentioned this to the dealer.... he said nobody had even mentioned this problem to him in the past.

Would the fact of the 60 pound weight gain due to the LC engine have anything to do with it? Or is it the short wheelbase? or a combination of the two?

Another concern is the deck lift was very close, at 6 foot it was a little awkward. Any plans on a little more leg room? I know this was brought up in the past.
    Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I also have never heard the light front end complaint or have I experienced it myself.
    I will forward this to our product manager for any comments he may have on the issue.
    As to the deck lift, last summer we changed the positioning of the lift and it resulted in more leg room, I believe due to the liquid cooled engine application the seat does not move all the way back as it does on the air cooled units, thus causing what you are experiencing.

Pj

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks PJ,
    I was also interested in the EFI model, maybe that will fit my needs better.
    Jeff

4. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah check out the EFI, it is worth it's wieght in gold, I got one and love it.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The EFI is one awesome unit, among my favorite all time Hustler machines.
    28hp Kohler EFI 60" Super Z with a stripe kit.... watch out here I come !!!! ....lol...lol....

Pj

6. keno

keno LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Accurate and mower guy,

I spoke to Kevin at the Factory about the exact thing you mentioned. When going up a steep hill the hydros start bucking and then it is exaserbated by the operator's arms bucking the levers as his body is shaking from the hydros not keeping up.

Kevin knew what I was saying and his only fix was drop down to a Z and get out of the super Z. Not the answer I wanted to hear

Ken
    AMPS

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Not Familiar with a Kevin @ the factory.
    As to bucking, this is almost always operator related, but the Super Z does have more sensitive controls, the Hustler Z has very responsive controls but it moves half the flow the Super Z's do, so they will tend to buck less under certain conditions.

Hope this helps
    Pj